tire height difference

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by LoweRider, Jun 17, 2019.

1. LoweRider

LoweRider Veteran Member

I'm looking to run MT's 305/45/17 in the rear when I buy wheels/tires for my camaro, but I want decent tires in the front, like Michelin's Pilot Sport 4S 225/50/17, but they're 25.9" tall and the 305s are 27.8" tall

I want to avoid having a rake effect, and I dont want to try and find a 28" wheel up front that might affect clearance while steering. Would I have a noticeable forward lean with 1.9" tire height difference, or should I go with a 315/35/17 in the back to have equal tire heights?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. LoweRider

LoweRider Veteran Member

no one?

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Check this out.
    https://bozeforged.com/downloads/17-Tire-Dim-Boze-041911.pdf

I do not know if the rear will create a "rake" effect.
    2" will make the car 1" higher in the rear so, it may not be too bad.
    Maybe use a 1" block in the rear? I cannot remember if the stock perch is above or below the axle. I used an aluminum 1" block on my car but it had a 9" with the leafs attached under the axle so it lowered the car.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  4. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As Dcozzi pointed out, the 1.9" you specified, is overall height difference, meaning 1/2 of that will occur below the centerline and 1/2 will be above. The increase above the centerline will not affect the ride height, but may have other clearance issues. - Also, the tires "give" a little at the bottom as well, so you may not experience the full inch of height.

Also, I have no idea what is available, but if you could go with a 55 series instead of the 50, ( 225/55/17 ) that would buy you some height in the front, but again, may lead to clearance issues.

If I recall, I believe Summit Racing sells quite a few tires these days and their website gives all sorts of specs on tire heights, etc. - May be a good place to start.

--

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

move on.......if your are THAT OCD about how level the vehicle is.... nothing metioned here is going to desuade that....get the tires...roll on .....look good !

LoweRider and hubedobeedo like this.
  6. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

Remember to keep your gear ratio in mind when discussing changing tire heights, the change may not bother you but you will notice it.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

i does depend on how it sits now if it is level with current combo(are they all the same height) then there would be a small difference, but like mentioned above might not be that noticeable

Attached Files:

8. LoweRider

LoweRider Veteran Member

appreciate the input, guys. I'll go with my original plan.

I'm pretty much building my car from scratch right now. It's currently getting paint and body work. When that's done, I'm having the Quadralink I have sitting in the garage installed along with a 9" in the rear with 3.50 gears. Also doing a 4L80E behind a bbc.