Tire rub

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Jerry M, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yup

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Yep. It will rub and you have to live with it.

I had 265/14/50 BFG Radials on all 4 corners with early 70's rally wheels. They rubbed the inner fender near the rocker box. Car was low and looked pretty cool. They haven't made that size in a long time and the centers wore out first.
    If you get a lower aspect ratio and make the tire smaller in diameter, you can fit wider tires but, they no longer fill the fender gap, then you lower the car, then it drags your exhaust over speed bumps and everything else.

3. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Hell, mine rubs with the stock size 225/70 tires on the stock N90s - or at least I think it still does with all the suspension done. It definitely did with the stock springs, but those were sagging so bad that when I swapped to Hotchkis springs, the car didn't get any lower.

I don't drive the car hardly at all, so I can't remember if it does still rub or not. Maybe I did solve that, now that I think about it.

4. Postmech

Postmech New Member

I ran 235 70 R15 on the factory aluminum wheels on my 78 Z/28 in the 70's. Later, I ran p245 50 R16's on IROC wheels. Fronts on rear, rear on front, had to trim control arm slightly. Then I went to 4 rear IROC wheels. ( I think) Now I run after market 16 x 8 chrome rallies with 235 55 R 16's. Car has solid body mounts and after market springs, its nearly stock ride height. Next time rear tires are going to 235 65 16 or somewhere there about. I like to drive hard so they do rub on full lock on bumps slightly.