tire size

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vlmohr, Sep 25, 2015.

1. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

I'm looking at getting 17's for my 79 Z next year. I currently have 235/60R15 ft and 255/60R15 rr. I have dropped the front and rear about 2 inches and I like the stance. Fender to ground is 25 1/4 inch in ft and 26 inch in rear. I have been looking at 17X8 wheels with 4.5 back spacing. The tire sizes I've been looking at are 245/45R17 in ft and 245/50R17 in rear. I do plan on doing some autocross, but a lot of cruising.

What do you think of my thoughts on sizes? Thanks in advance.

2. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

I would do 255/45 rear to have just a touch wider in rear.

3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I have that exact setup except 255/50 on rear. Great combo.

4. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

That was my first thought was the 255/50R17 in the rears also beings they are a 27 inch tire like the 255/60R15. But thought it might be to much of a height difference front-rear doing auto cross.:confused:

5. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Figure if I can keep the rears with in an inch of what the height is now I wont have to mess with the speedo.

6. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Might have to look at these. Didn't think about going to a 26 inch tire in the rear. But it may be worth looking into to get more meat on the pavement. Thanks for your reply.:happy:

7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I have an m21 with a 3:73 and went to the 21 tooth red speedo drive gear and it is spot on.

8. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

I've got a 700R4 and it's pretty close but not exact. I actually think it would be closer with a 26.5 inch tire. But it's been a while since I've checked it.

9. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

10. vlmohr

vlmohr Veteran Member

Yeah, I've been using that. my problem, like you said, is limited sizes in one brand tire. I would prefer to stay with the same type tire all the way around, but I'm seeing that probably won't be the case. And I'm cheap i guess, don't want to spend big $ on something I'm going to burn off right away. So the mission is to find the sizes that will look and work for my intended use. Then try to find them in an economical brand without sacrificing traction and wear. But that is like building a motor with h/p and torque, thenexpecting to get good MPG. LOL:rolleyes: