Tires for 78

SBnBOTL

Veteran Member
May 13, 2008
USA
Tires for late second gen.

since the stickey thread is closed ill post a new thread. basically im trying to fit the biggest tire possible on my 78. right now i have 265/50/15 on the back with a 5.5" backspace. i would love to get at least a 275 and up on the car but will it fit? and i want to get a taller tire but what would be best a 60 or 70? stock suspension front and back leafs with helpers and crappy shocks that will get repleaced any body have a similar set up or know what will work? also what exactly does it mean to roll the fenders? pictures would be nice. thanks everybody.

I think im going to go with the mickey thompson sportsman s/t's but how big of a tire can i put on a 15 inch rim 10.5 inch wide with 5.5 backspacing?

Last edited:

Brown`77Z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 11, 2005
The Netherlands
I`ve seen Camaro`s with 295/50-15 on the back so 275 shouldn`t be a problem at least if you have the right rim for it ;) ;) and you have.
I have no pictures of rolled fenders but basically it means that the small lip what points inwards and were the inner and outer sheetmetal is connected that lip is rolled up further inside/upwards.

SBnBOTL

Veteran Member
May 13, 2008
USA
im in the process of measuring but i think i will be able to fit the 295 50's so i can get some more meat under the car. i let you guys know how it goes if i can get them pretty soon.