tko 600 info please

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by vince72, Jul 1, 2020.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Hey Guys
    I have scrapped the idea of LT1 T56 swap as it became more expensive and troublesome than I initially thought. I am now looking into a TKO 600 my current set up is a ST 10, I would appreciate feedback from all you on how to complete this swap in the most cost effective yet proper route. My 72 camaro runs a vortec sbc with 3.55 rear gears.
    Realized I had it in the wrong area

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

I swapped out the ST10 from my 81 and installed a TKO 600. Very good transmission, second season with it now. I think it is easier to make the conversion cheaply where you live. I'm in Canada, and there is no cheap way to do anything unless you find a good source of used parts.
    I bought a complete kit with crossmember, driveshaft and stock shifter location from Silver Sport transmissions in Tennessee. I did not have the time to piece together something that would work and we have a short season, so I opted for the kit.
    There is a site member here who found one cheap online and made it work.
    You live in the land of cheap aftermarket parts, I would try to tap into someone who knows who's got what in your area. A shop owner or swap meet guru who knows local people with the typical eternal build that never turns a wheel or someone hit by the financial downturn that need to dump some project parts. They are out there.

redriderjf87 likes this.
  3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

My TKO 600 kit came from American PowerTrain about 7 years ago. Their cross member, clutch assembly, aluminum driveshaft, shifter handle, pilot bearing, the works. It is a .64 ratio fifth gear version. I found the clutch didn't have the holding power I needed so replaced it with a McLeod diaphragm unit. Installed an OEM bronze pilot bearing instead of the supplied needle bearing uni as I prefer the bronze bushing. Installed a shorter, slightly different shape Hurst shifter handle as the supplied handle was long for a console equipped car, my Z has no console. Use the Tremec Gear Ratio Calculator to best determine the 5th gear ratio you want (.82 or.64). My car has 4.10 gears, 28" rear tire and turns a tad over 2200rpm in 5th at 70mph. 1st gear is very short and be aware with the .64 5th gear there is a 1,000rpm drop from 4th to 5th. My car with 4.10's and 28" rear tires in 4th gear is at 2500rpm at 50 mph.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

I’ve been keeping an eye for sales online and haven’t found anything as of yet. I’m fearful of purchasing a kit then upgrading most of the parts..even though this is part of the hobby lol. I’d like to get the beat deal possible as I still have a long list of todos on the car.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

The quality of parts with suppliers like APT, SST and Hurst drivelines is excellent. And everything fits. I see nothing with mine that I want to upgrade. However, I opted not to go with hydraulic clutch at the time, but doing that right now.
    SST has the odd sale, but you have to keep an eye on their site for it or subscribe to mailing list to get the heads up.

6. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Hydraulic clutch is something else I’d have to consider. I only drive the car to work once in a while but eventually I’d like to drive it more once my daughter is older and the fumes from my he car won’t knock her out haha

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. It's one of those upgrades that I think makes sense for an older car if you drive it lots. I should have done it the first time. My linkage was working fine, but the odd squeak, the real estate the z bar and linkage take up were just getting to me. Wife and kids drive it too, so hoping for a bit lighter pedal effort.

As good as my linkage looked, once I pulled it all apart, there was definite wear on al the articulating surfaces.

8. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Tuff choice. I might just bite the bullet and go hydro right of the bat. what are your thoughts on keeping the stock clutch and plate?

9. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I changed my 68 firebird from a muncie to a tko. I used the original flywheel and pressure plate, swapped out the disc. I used the original bellhousing and linkage. I like the pedal in it more than the hydro clutches in my 71 and 73.
    With stock linkage you can easily adjust the pedal height.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

I kept my stock clutch, plate and disc as well. They were recent replacements from a few years ago, no issues. As Dale says above, nothing wrong with stock linkage, and pedal adjustment is handy to have engagement where you want it. However, I see there is an add on you can get for the hydraulic line that allows you to do the same with a hydraulic clutch.
    I just got an email from Silver Sport, 250 bucks off Tremec kits. They also have an option to pay monthly until kit is paid off, then they ship it.