tko 600 info please

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by vince72, Jul 1, 2020.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

With the 3.55 gears what ratio wolf you suggest?
    I emailed them yesterday requesting a quote I’m sure they will reply soon

2. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The question I have, is can you bang the gears as hard as a 4 speed Muncie, I have shifted my 4 speed at red line several times and no issues, I keep reading about random complaints from people that say it will not shift at high RPM, is that true?

3. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

I just checked out that lay away deal not bad. 10 of no interest.
    same here, I have read the complaints and have also ready the good. we should start a pole on this

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

With 3.55's I would get the .82 5th gear. With the .64 fifth, you'd need to be near 80 to shift into 5th.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Another point. Go for the carbon fiber blocker rings/synchros and shifter guides options, money well spent up front. Improves durability and high rpm shifts.

6. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Thank you

7. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Some critical info not included in your original question are camshaft specs, type of intake, and rear tire height.

Since you mentioned a vortec setup Ill assume your cam specs are gonna be on the mild side and not exceed 270 degrees duration. The smaller the cam the happier the motor will be cruising at low rpm. FI vs a carbed intake setup will also have a bearing as FI will also be more tolerant running low rpm in top gear. Low profile 17 or 18 inch wheels vs the standard 15 in wheels will make a difference in rpm at speed as well.

Assuming a mild cam, carburetor, 15 inch rubber and 3:55 out back I'd go with the .82 OD tranny as the .64 unit will require you to run 75+ mph to actually use 5th gear.

I just put a .64 OD TKO600 in my '73 Camaro and went from 3:73 to 4:10 out back to get the most benefit from the tranny. With the 3:73 ratio, 255/60x15 rubber (27 inch tire), a moderate 224/230 hyd roller cam, and a HP Holley 650DP a smooth 2400 rpm cruise put me at 80 mph. Having 4.10 out back made that same 2400rpm a perfect 73 mph and made the car an absolute beast off the line.

I have the .82 TKO600 in my '69 vette with 3:73 gears but I set that car up to cruise at a slightly higher rpm as I'm running a 15lb flywheel and wanted as much gear as possible to make the light flywheel work on the street.

I've never had an issue with high rpm shifts in either car and I've had the .82 TKO in the vette for about 10 yrs now. Granted, both cars have hyd roller cams very similar in profile and are done power wise at 6000rpm but thats typical for most gen 1 sbc setups so I would not be concerned about upgrading the TKO for high rpm use unless your motor is going to see 6000+ rpm.

Either way, you will love the TKO in all aspects. Being an internal rail setup its so much easier to shift under load vs the typical external linkage Muncie or BW and having that extra gear up top makes for a much easier and quieter cruise down the freeway.

8. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

I am currently running a xe 268 cam with a 650 dp carb. Eventually I am going with a sniper and haven’t decided on new cam. I’d like to be at 400-450 hp and torque if all possible. So I am slowly working towards a fun to drive and somewhat powerful car

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

I did read the complaints as well before I made the leap, but deeper reading and a few inquiries led me to the conclusion that some people had unresolved bell housing alignment issues that affect high rpm shifting. I opted for the carbon fiber blocker rings as an upgrade, my bell housing from factory was within 6 thou runout and I have never missed a high rpm shift. Very positive and slick. 6500 rpm shifts every day. I have the .64 OD, and I have no problem pulling 5th gear down to very low rpm on the highway, but if I were going to do it again, I'd go .82 for what I do with the car. I may pull it apart at some point and do that myself, but not right away. If there was a way to make 5th .70-.75, I'd be all over that.

10. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Spoke with Tremec during the 2018 HRPT. Third gear is the problem over 6k with the stock blocker rings. Those that I've spoken too noticed a huge improvement in all gears, especially 3rd after switching to the CF rings. Yes, the .64 ratio is too much and the .82 isn't enough. Tremec said although a .64 5th can be changed to a .82 5th, the parts are very costly. Like you said, a .75 or close to that would be ideal. The rear answer is the 6 speed.