tko 600 info please

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by vince72, Jul 1, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

I know this is ass-backwards, but I have never actually confirmed what I have for rear end gears yet. Build sheet says 3.08, but based on rpm/mph, it feels like one of the 2 previous owners may have swapped in 3.42 or 3.73 gears. Neither previous owner says so, but it pulls pretty damn good for 3.08. However, first gear feels pretty tall with the tko compared to the ST10, so I'm thinking I may still have 3.08. I have to pull it apart anyways now that it is on stands for other work including a posi, so that will tell the tale. If it is still 3.08, I will install 3.73 gears which I'm sure will suit my needs perfectly. I like the idea of 4.10, but worried about making first gear useless. I also like to run at high speed on the highway, and 4.10 will only increase driveshaft speed which I'm leery of.

2. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Quick question. How difficult was it to set the run out on the tko600? What tools did you guys use? On the Manuel they have a dial with a bracket holding it, will I need both?

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

I used a magnetic base dial indicator. I had the clutch disc and pressure plate off the flywheel, the magnetic base stuck to the flywheel. It's a bit tight to fit the dial indicator in once you put the bellhousing on, but it is doable. I had the live end of the dial indicator touching the inside of the B.H. flange and gave it a spin. Once I had it set to touch all the way around, I zeroed the dial at the lowest point and spun the engine to find the tightest spot.
    I dont do this procedure every day, and I probably wont explain it really well, but I took a couple hours to make sure I was clear on the concept as I spun the engine around many times and made notes, put marks on the bell housing and spun it some more. Ended up getting it under .002 runout.
    There are guys here who do this type of thing regularly I'm sure.

4. unrestored72Z

unrestored72Z Veteran Member

You don't need to pull it apart to tell, especially knowing it's currently on stands.
    Just rotate a rear wheel while in neutral or even a drum if the wheels are off, 1 complete rotation; and count how many revolutions the driveshaft makes at the same time.
    It's best to place a mark at 6 o'clock on the drum and also on the d-shaft.
    3.73 revs on the shaft means just that, just like 4.1 or 3.0 revd..thus no need to take apart.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

10-4, already done. 3.08 swapped out, 3.73 GM gears and Yukon posi installed.

7. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Thanks again

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good luck! Did you pick up a trans yet?

9. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

I did, I ended up doing the hydraulic clutch also also

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good man! Hardest part for me was obsessing over mounting the clutch master cylinder on the firewall.