tko 600 info please

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by vince72, Jul 1, 2020.

1. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

Any pics of how you mounted it? Anything I should look out for? I have quite the to-do list on the camaro I need to install my tilt column, sniper system and tko before that I have to complete the 1le brakeswap I started. It takes me a while because of my 15 month old baby doesn’t give me a break haha

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ha! Yes, that is a busy age to look after! It goes by quick though....
    I will look thru my phone for pics, I know I have some. Did u go with the SST hydraulic kit? The instructions are pretty good. My biggest revelation was that the triangular bracket flange that is part of the MC is not symmetrical to the MC itself. Meaning that, the top side of the triangle doesnt sit in a level horizontal plane. It is ever so slightly tilted when the MC is pointed dead straight with the clutch pushrod.
    The brake booster absolutely has to come off for the install.
    Once you are ready to tackle it, let me know and you can call me with any questions.

3. vince72

vince72 Veteran Member

I did but their complete kit.
    Thank you I will reach out soon as I begin the install

4. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Measure your current driveline angles before pulling the 4 speed so you will know where you started.

Both my cars are 100% street so I went with GM bell housings on both - #403 on the vette for its 10.4 in clutch and #621 on the Camaro for its 11 inch clutch.

The vette TKO install was child's play considering the body was off the frame for paint. Everything Lind up within specs and the driveline angles required no adjustment.

The Camaro install was a real PIA - offset dowls were required to align the bell house and multiple corrections to get the driveline angles correct. Biggest problem was the passenger side front corner of the TKO was contacting the tunnel requiring a small relief cut to get the tranny up high enough at the crossmember to correct the wonky driveline angles.

Tremec has a driveline angle program that you can load to your phone to measure the angles. You will need to measure angles at the tranny yoke, driveshaft, and pinion yoke. The program computes and gives you a green number of both ujoint angles are within spec.

It appears some cars do not have tunnel clearance issues and so do. I was not expecting issues with my car as the floors are in great condition and all body mounts have been replaced but you know Mr Murphy sometimes has other plans...

As mentioned by someone else above, I also did not use the needle pilot bearing on either install as I prefer the simple bronze bushing as well.

you can certainly reuse your stock flywheel and clutch but I'd consider taking a look at some other options while you have it apart. Its surprising at how much difference it makes dropping some weight off the rotating assembly. I dropped 16 lbs off the flywheel and clutch when I swapped out the M-20 in my Camaro for the TKO and it made a huge difference in how the car spools up and down without any real loss in drive ability. It makes driving a hi po stick car that much more fun to drive.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

Tremec is now making a new version of the tko. It's called the TKX. Looks a bit thinner. Bought my tko600 kit used for $1500 For everything and it is a really tight fit to the tunnel. Shifts great but would have preferred the .82 overdrive as the .64 drop is only usable on the highway with my 3.73 rear.