Tko 600 leaking.

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Flyingkiwi, May 10, 2017.

1. Flyingkiwi

Flyingkiwi Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've read that some of the first tko600's had some leak issues and I'm worried mine might be one of those. There's been oil dripping from the bellhousing but I always thought it was coming from leaky rocker covers. (because the trans was new, I didn't suspect it) I'm hearing a faint whining that I never noticed before and I'll be putting it up on a friend's lift before I drive it any distance again.
    If it's leaking, where's that most likely coming from and what parts will I need?
    I want to be prepared.
    There's also a squeaking sound when I press the clutch pedal could that be a Cooked bearing?
    One final question what colour speedo gear do I need to install? It's a 4:10 tyres are 295/50. R15

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check the speedo cable for a leak. The squeak is prob a non greased Z-bar grease fitting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine is leaking as well. Seems to be where the tail of the case mounts to the main body. Very annoying. Hurst drivelines said to pull the tranny and reseal the case, not happening....just going to live with it.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Sounds with the clutch actuation is indicating a clutch issue. The only reasonable area for a leak in the front is the input shaft front seal. It's easy to swap out via taking off the front bearing retainer.

The question is....is it engine oil or gear oil. Gear oil has a distinct smell and it's very common for SBC rear main seals to leak

5. Flyingkiwi

I've been searching for a replacement front seal and found part number TMT2603865. But the only sellers were in Australia.
    Do all tremec transmissions have the same size front seals?
    Would a timken 3638 from a tremec 3550 also fit?

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I suggest to call Tremec. It may even be covered by warranty

Flyingkiwi likes this.
  7. gray86hatch

gray86hatch Member

Hanlon motorsports has all the parts and tech help you will need. Bob and Linda are great

Tim

Flyingkiwi and BonzoHansen like this.
  8. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Kiwi,
    By any chance, is your TKO mated to the bellhousing with an adapter plate between? There were some issues if a plate with openings was used. Specifically in front of the countershaft bearing.

Don't know on your seal question, but I tend to take notes on sizes and PNs until I can cross reference. Good luck.

Flyingkiwi likes this.
  9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  10. Flyingkiwi

Here's an update, I got it up on the lift and thankfully the gearbox was still full of oil. Seems the leak was very minor and coming from the speedo cable (which was very loose).
    Mechanic is convinced that the squeaking sound is the throw out bearing .
    As for the whining sound, I didn't notice it again maybe because the woman wasn't driving with me since then.

Scaleytail likes this.