TKO question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by doublec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

If you use the Hurst Blackjack shifter, you won't have to alter the factory console at all. Mine looks 100% stock sticking out of my factory console.

As for modifying the trans tunnel, the only mod I had to do was to enlarge the shifter opening hole about a half inch towards the center of the tunnel to clear the shifter housing. I probably could have gotten away without cutting but I didn't want to do the whole job only to have a rubbing issue later. It only took about 10 extra minutes with a cut off wheel and then I was good to go.

2. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

I've said it on this site dozen's of times. I am a stick shift guy when it comes to my Musclecars. I don't care it it's a Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Mustang, or even a Road Runner, if it's mine it will be a manual trans car. It's just my preference.

I just think that a stick makes the car SO much fun to drive. What I really love about my Tremec is that it offers me the best of both worlds. Around town, I have the torque of the big block mixed with my 3:73's and that's just way fun. If I go to a cruise or show that's a little further out, I can throw my shifter up into 5th gear and at 65 I'm taching out at about 2100-2200 RPM.

I say go for it, but then it's your car and your money. At the end of the day you have a beautiful car no matter what.

3. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about doing this before, but at the time thought I would have to really cut into my trans tunnel and that wasn't something I was eager to do. After seeing this thread and the information you just shared Devildog. I'm starting to rethink this project and ditching the Muncie!

4. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

you coming to Harrisburg to help me put it in? :)

5. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

Do you have cold beer?

As I said my good buddy Corey is a car guy. He has 2 Chevelle's and together we love to wrench on cars. Bring it here to Doylestown and we'll throw it on his lift and have it swapped out in a few hours. Honestly, if you had all the parts, it really could be done relatively quickly. The only thing I haven't done is the hydraulic clutch. My car was already a 4 speed and I couldn't justify the extra $700.00 for a car that sees about 500-700 miles a year.

I always have cold beer too! HA HA

6. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

That maybe a plan!! :) My car is an auto now so there will be a little more work involved. I plan on putting a Z bar set up in there..like you I hardly ever drive it and need to save some pennies where I can.

Did you put an aluminum or steel bell?

7. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

TKO 6 speed

Devil dog im about to pull trigger on a tko 6 for my 70 behind 454 with 373 rear end. I have been told that I will have to raise my tunell a little bit. You didnt have to do that what year is your car and did u buy the new trans crossmember or make yours work? Did you drive line angle change any. Also so you have pics of install. Gary

8. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Gary,

TKO is a 5 speed...sure your not talking about the T56 Mag 6 speed?? with those I think there is more of a chance you need to cut the tunnel.

9. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

Doublec, I used the Lakewood bell housing that my car came with. If you don't have a bellhousing yet, I'd suggest checking out the one the Hurst Driveline sells. Apparently it's already dialed in and ready to go for a TKO swap.

Gary, I installed a TKO 5 speed and it required pretty much zero modifications. I have no experience with the T56 6 speed. There are guys on this site who have swapped in a 6 speed. There may be sticky's or you could look back and find a thread where someone detailed their experience.

10. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

I think he meant TKO 600?