TKX - Wide or Close?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Jack Deibel, Sep 4, 2021.

1. streak

streak Member

Yeah that looks good to me unless your tire situation changes, so maybe don't buy your diff gears until you know what tire and wheel offset is fitting in your rear.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  2. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Good thinking!

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good info above, I like the 3.91 gear too.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  4. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Guys, again thanks so much for the valuable guidance. Looks like I'm all set with the transmission; 2.87 first, .68 fifth paired with a 3.91 or 3.73 depending on tire outcome..

I learned a lot here... I started thinking I may need to do something with my truck next... :)

upload_2021-9-7_9-3-46.jpeg

5. Casenator

Casenator New Member

Nice looking truck! if that's any indication of how the Camaro will turn out, I can't wait to see it. It will be a very enjoyable ride.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

FWIW, I have used the tires actual static effective radius x2 to make the calculator more accurate as per the tire size inputs.

I was in the same position as you were on 2 separate occasions with my build...3.73 12 bolt posi, 27.3 tire (actual was 26.5) and picked the Richmond SS 5 speed as I found the TKO600 5th option of .82 was not enough drop (18%) and the .64 was too much rpm drop (36%) and the Richmond landed at .77.

Fast forward after my face plated days, I found myself torn again between both 5th gear options, the TR6060 Magnum gave me the .80 5th I wanted, and the .63 I craved on the higher speeds attained on the highways. I chose the "wide" option as it keeps me in the 55-72 mph zone for autocross in 2nd gear, and only use 3-4 on the road course. I do not regret going with the TR6060 Magnum one bit.

But, it can be more work for fitment as every car is tweaked a bit different.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  7. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I think 3:73 out back will work nicely given your engine choice

I've got TKO 600's in both my cars - .64 OD/4.10 rear in the Camaro and .82 OD/3:73 rear in the C3 vette with 27 inch rear tires on both cars

Im running built carbed gen 1 350's in both cars so I planned to run 5th gear above ~2200 rpm.

I initally had 3:73 out back on the Camaro but found it a little too tall for my specific engine combo, 4.10 being much better off the line in 1st and with plenty of leg left up top to run 2500 rpm at 75 mph

I went .82 OD on the vette as I'm running a 15 lb flywheel and the motor likes to spin - it runs 2800 rpm at the same 75 mph

Nice truck BTW, love the wheels :)

[​IMG]

Jack Deibel likes this.
  8. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

You just convinced me to go back to my original car color... Antique white... And yes on the wheels for the Camaro.. I already have em new in the box waiting... Much like yours but 17 inch...
    Great looking car you have there!!

9. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Thanks and glad I could help

Got the same wheels on the vette but in 17 in

[​IMG]

I run Nitto 255/50's on the vette to get a 27 inch height

Jack Deibel likes this.
  10. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Damn nice Vette Desmo! I'll keep those tires in mind when it's time! Thanks!