To go down the rabbit hole or not...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80's AL, Apr 23, 2018.

1. 80's AL

80's AL Member

So, here is my scenario. I have a good friend that has handed me an opportunity. He has a storage space that has a 2nd gen Camaro in it. The car has basically been abandoned. It has a lot of potential. And I can get it for a song...but there is a catch. (Isn't it always that way)
    Now, I have known this guy for a long time. And is stand up, straight and narrow.
    The car does not have a VIN. So, since it is abandoned and on his property, it is basically his. His said the sheriff would come out, evaluate the car, and issue a new VIN if deemed clear. The state does not require titles on cars older than 1985.
    Now, one part of me is not good with that. Tainted goods in my eyes.
    Another part of me is like " I am not building a concourse restoration car, so who gives a $hit".

So, just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks.

80'sAL

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't understand how this is even a serious question on a car enthusiast forum. Of course you do it by the book and have a new vin issued, if that can be done. Anything else is dishonest and likely sets you up for heartache/incarceration down the road

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

You should check with your local tag agency to see what is required. The Local P.D. van verify a VIN but I don't believe they can issue a new one. That would have to be done by the Tag or Vehicle registration agency. You need the bill of sale to start. Then go from there.

4. 80's AL

80's AL Member

Well my question is not so much about the VIN. Of course I want the car to be legit and legal.
    I think my question is more of worth/value/resale.
    Would the car become a bastard that nobody would want?
    Not that selling it is my goal. I am 48 and this will most likely the last full blown project I will take on myself.
    Just want a car that I can put work into with my daughter and have memories for her to keep.

5. 80's AL

80's AL Member

I think the tag office needs it to be checked out by the sheriff or PD to move forward.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Law enforcement can ID the car using the hidden VINs. Then, if they give it a clean bill of health and issue a new State VIN, you don't have any legal problems. At that point, the car becomes a great project, and a legal one.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

If you go through the process and get it registered in your Name, I think that it will be at least worth what someone will pay. Legal is good. So I would not worry about selling till your too old to mess with it. LOL. Let your Family keep it to enjoy. Good Luck.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There should be a “hidden” VIN on the firewall behind the heater or A/C box.

Might be worth your effort to look for that.

9. 80's AL

80's AL Member

I believe the firewall has been modified with a flat plate to do a vintage air setup.

10. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Sounds like you got a parts car