To rain gutter or not to....

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mrluckies, Dec 29, 2019.

1. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’ve been putting my 1970 back together after paint and I’m debating on if I should put the rain gutters back on when I install the window weatherstripping.

The chrome on the original ones I have are scratched up when you look at them close. From a distant they aren’t too bad. So I wasn’t planning on putting them in. I had the weatherstripping channels painted black so they won’t stand out if I don’t use the rain gutters. I originally planned on having it all black around the windows, like on my old 3rd gen, but the door top weatherstripping has a chrome strip on it.

now I’m starting to think maybe I should put them in. Especially since the car doesn’t have ac at the moment. I’m thinking maybe the rain gutters will allow me to drive with the windows cracked open?

The trim around the windshield and back glass is painted a gray to contrast with the green body color. I don’t want to have the rain gutters painted gray too. So it’s either chrome or not at all.

9B3C2983-334E-48D4-A987-2F0FE493320B.jpeg

camaro71/holland and hubedobeedo like this.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It is entirely up to you. I feel that rain gutters serve a very functional purpose and the added chrome makes the car look better, so for me it is a Yes-Yes.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Curious, why don't you want to paint them gray to match the window trim? I think I'd paint them and at least hold one up to the car to see what it would look like.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I powder coated all of my window trim (and rain gutters) Satin black.
    The trim piece at the top of the door was covered with vinyl black-out tape.
    (Couldn't powder coat that part due to the rubber sweep attached to it.)

Powder coating is available in many colors. You could probably match it real close to the gray you used on the other trim.

Smokey15 and hubedobeedo like this.
  5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm all for the gutter, just like you said, when it rains it is nice to not have water pour off the roof into the car. I'd match the top door trim the gutters and then get the piece of trim that goes under the weather strip on the rear side of the window so the whole window is surrounded by the grey the rest of your window trim is painted. That is how mine is done, think the window opening is lacking appeal without trim around it. Kind of hard to see, and I don't heave a better pic.
    1c (3).JPG

hubedobeedo and budro6968 like this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Especially here in Florida when it rains so hard you can't see.

7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that's looking very nice. i vote for chrome

8. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thx all. I was really thinking of not using the rain gutters which is why I didn’t have them painted when the rest of the car was done. And now that the car is painted, I didn’t want to send them to the shop or spend the money.

But if I decide to put the gutters on and have to replace the ones I have, I might as well pay to have them painted instead of replaced. Which I didn’t consider before.

I’m still not sure if I want to run gutters, but I guess I’m leaning more towards it.

anybody not running gutters? If so, do you like it?

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would not call these rain gutters. If you want a real gutter then buy the plastic gutters that are held in place with 2 way tape.
    D342C844-74D4-473F-B976-D3A4E6F165A5.jpeg

hubedobeedo and Dave Nelson like this.
  10. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

The gutters on a 2nd gen do not stick out like a 1st gen. So, I don't think they work well as gutters. My 71 has gutters, 73 does not. I have not noticed any difference in either when driving in the rain.