To yoke or not to yoke

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by mk3ricks, Jun 5, 2021.

1. mk3ricks

mk3ricks Member

I'm down to the last piece I need for my 8.5 rebuild here is the short list.
    1. Detroit TruTrac 30 spline
    2. Moser 30 spline axles
    3. Richmond 3.42 Ring Pinion etc.
    The question I have is a "YOKE" for this rebuild do i keep the cast OEM yoke or upgrade, and if I upgrade what are some suggestions?
    I see some yokes priced more then my axles some with dust covers some not, hoping for some suggestions that wont break the budget. (wait did I say budget LOL)

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

The bigger, the better (1310 > 1330 > 1350) but then you need to upgrade the u joint and the drive shaft end as well.
    Billet is always stronger than cast iron, but probably you'll brake the joints before you break the yoke. Caps are always an upgrade from straps.

3. mk3ricks

mk3ricks Member

(question) Caps are always an upgrade from straps? I believe I understand the straps (UBolts) but caps? not sure what you mean by caps
    Is a dust shield all that important since this will be a fair weather machine and plan to run it down the strip on occasions
    And any recommendations on a billet Yoke

Drive Shaft will be replaced that's not a problem

4. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I believe if you buy a billet yoke it will have machined u-joint caps instead of standard u-bolts.
    When I did my LS swap this winter I upgraded the trans yoke and rear end yoke to 1350's. I bought a cast yoke.

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

What are you going to do with the car? If it's just a street car and the yoke is in good condition then it's probably going to be fine. If you want to upgrade the drive shaft and use 1350 U joints then get a forged yoke. If you feel the need for 1350 U joints then you probably need to have someone weld the axle tubed with nickel.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's a just a Street car then stock yoke would be sufficient or an upgrade to a 1350 forged yoke

For my Camaro once I upgraded to a 35 spline Ford 9" with a Billet full spool I upgraded to a Billet yoke , Billet pinion support and solid 1350 U joints and a Billet / chromemolly driveshaft

Resized_20200925_162152.jpg 20210429_133514.jpg

7. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I would run the yoke you have if it's not going to be a drag car. Even if it is it should withstand enough abuse to figure out the weak links in your drivetrain. Since you're asking this question I'm assuming you mean to put a lot of power to the rear wheels. It would help if you gave some more details as far as usage and engine/trans.