too much power?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by jroach, Apr 16, 2019.

1. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

in my camaro, I am running a pair of alpine bass line 10s. they are currently being powered by a junk sony explod amp. i think its supposed to be 850 watts peak. I have a brand new lanzar 3000 watt class d mono block that i could use. is this amp too much for my subwoofers? i also have the maxpro 12 inch speakers that are the same series as this amp and the magnets are bigger than my boxes, lol. i don't want to blow my speakers just because im trying to be cheap.
    edit; i do realize that i would need to upgrade my power and grounds to accomodate the bigger amplifier

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need to know the watts per channel for these speakers, and the actual RMS number for the speakers. (The marketing verbiage for amplifier power is often over-stating the number that really matters, which is RMS.)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/rms-vs-peak-power-when-comparing-speakers/

You may have better luck asking this question in an audio-specific forum. The first thing running through my mind is the alternator and battery upgrade that you would need to do.

3. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

You can over power the subs, just make sure you tune your gains on the lower side to start.

As mentioned, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure you are running appropriate power and ground wire from your battery to match current draw.