Too rich, need tuning advice

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ChevyReb, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Desmond glad yours is working out well with starting. I have a new starter, accel vacuum can, HVH supersucker aluminum spacer, and a carb heat shield on top of my toolbox for a week now.

Only issue with adding the carb shield is I'll have to have the machine shop mill the added thickness off the HVH spacer. I'm guessing to remove from the manifold side so hopefully it will not hurt its function. Probably it will be 3/16" or so.

I'm too busy to put them on as I am currently on a side job building kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities for my son's rental home he is about to put on the market. He is a general contractor so this one's a test to see if I can make them fast enough that he can use me on client jobs. I have a deadline so have to stay on track. If this one goes well I'm going to start my own side business and see how it goes. The money I earn from this will probably go towards an overdrive transmission.
    20210702_151235.jpg

biker likes this.
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice looking work. I want so bad to be good at wood working, but I just dont have a solid knowledge of some of the basic building concepts to do something from scratch. I can copy a good design, I've built buildings, porches etc that way, but fine carpentry like cabinets and finishing work is a real art.

MChamp likes this.
  3. ChevyReb

Ok got the new starter on and had to shim it to get the starter gear to be able to engage the flywheel. Still need to try a different one as it sounds a bit off. Good news is it starts right up when hot now Yahooo! Hope to get the spacer milled down soon and also need to replace the vacuum can. Idk if I will have to put the distributor out for that or not. It's been a busy summer so hope to get to enjoy the car some with fall weather approaching soon.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You don’t need to remove the distributor to change the can. But you do need to hold the advance plate either by suction or a screwdriver to install it.

5. ChevyReb

Thanks Mark good to know. I can draw a vacuum on the new one as long as the diaphragm is good haha. I've never had a vacuum can go bad on me before.

6. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

ain't nothing like a router table bit coming loose at 30 million miles an hour..

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

I can only imagine. I only learn by touching the hot stove, so its best I don't try to master new skills.

MChamp likes this.
  8. ChevyReb

I've taken the tips off two fingers on the router table before...didn't feel a thing for a few minutes. Hope to never be that dumb again with power tools! Soldering iron doc used to courdarize the blood vessels in the finger tips hurt REALLY REALLY bad! Even after morphine shots.

Here's the bathroom vanity cabinet pic.

Attached Files:

xten and MChamp like this.
  9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Very nice. And no blood!

10. ChevyReb

I got the new vacuum can swapped in last night. It wasn't too bad of a job. The hardest part was getting the snap ring up so the mag could be raised up to disengage the vacuum can arm. Putting back on was easier. Also checked to ensure it held a vacuum before installing it! I got this done while I was waiting on some glue to dry on some csbinet doors. Cant wait to start it up and set the advance tonight if it's not raining again.

Also saw this little fellow walking out to go home, glad I saw it before I stepped outside! Non venomous so I let him be. I have way too many frogs hopping around. They get in the shop and I find them petrified in a corner later as hard as hokey pucks lol.
    20210920_220346.jpg

MChamp likes this.