Tool Truck Info

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by tskills10, Mar 29, 2014.

1. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

Lately I've been giving some thought to the possiblity of doing the tool truck franchise thing. So anybody out there have any useful knowledge to help me in making the decision? Things like; income?, hours worked? success rates? initial investment needed? franchise fees? company support? Any any other thoughts that you may have.

2. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

From being a former technician at GM dealerships and being around many of them. There are a lot of factors to consider and you would have to know the market or route your getting into. Basically with all of them, 12 hour days seemed normal. If you go with MAC and your territory was dominated by Snap On it could be a hard battle. You have to jump all in and carry a lot of overhead, I had a great Snap On guy that had a truck loaded to where tools were busting out. It is easy to buy a tool if it is on the truck and not a catalog, but that is all overhead. One of my shop foremans had connections at Snap ON and did it for a few years, he got out of it and went back to turning wrenches because he made the same money with less stress and hours.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

We've have a revolving door of MAC dealers.

Our Matco dealer hasn't come in for at least 8 years.

The Snap-On dealer is bailing out after nearly 25 years. Not retiring, bailing. He told me that between the crap economy and the lack of young guys entering this trade that he's simply not making a decent living anymore being a tool dealer. I told him that the ridiculous prices of his tools are driving guys to look for used or lower cost alternatives. While Snap On is pretty much the (aftermarket) industry standard for diagnostic tools, they no longer dominate the hand tool market.

It looks like a cool job on paper but it's one I wouldn't like.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was a delivery guy for a local potato chip company for a year and it wore me out. Getting up at 3am and driving for eleven hours a day in the hot and cold weather wasn't any fun. Your truck will probably have heat and air so it'd probably be better than what I had so think real hard. Just my 2 cents worth.

5. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

I am glad I got out of turning wrenches for a living in 07, I can not imagine how it was affected after the bailout. I would be cautious about making a living relying on the automotive support industry.

6. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

They are hurting in my area and we faired better than most when the economy took a dump. Matco has been gone for over a year, he struggled for 2-3 years before he gave up. Mac just got a guy in and he is well known in the area (worked at a Dodge dealership for 25 years and grew up in the area) and is still struggling but able to tread water.. The Snap On dealer is like most in my area, been there for eons and has the best buddy attitude so he is able to keep going.

If you like a lot of stress and a crap load of debt or money out of your pocket, then getting a tool franchise might just be your calling lol

7. TBART1970

TBART1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Our Matco guy got the shaft, there prices were worse than Snap-on. I've gotten a ton of deals from snap-on (mostly the only way I buy from him). We have an independent, USA tools, he does well, he is a great guy to deal with. He knows how to run his truck.