torque arm with coil overs. yes it works

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by purpleflame, Dec 28, 2010.

1. 74RAT

74RAT Veteran Member

beater looking car,, but it does well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swerven

swerven Veteran Member

Ummm, where's top bar of this torque arm? Hopefully it's hiding somewhere in the tunnel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

74 Rat,

When you launch the car.Does the back end raise or squat?

4. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

my bar is 1 1/8 dom tubing and from most of the torque arms Ive seen are 5/8 to 7/8. really dont think I will need a top bar to me the logic of one bar stop the twist of the rear. but open to suggestions of if anyone thinks i need the top bar? notice mine goes all the way and connects to the trans mount rather than the weak metal of the floor.

5. swerven

swerven Veteran Member

The size of the bar of the bar is not the problem. The location and, more importantly, the way it's mounted is the problem. Torque arms do not use swivel mounts, at the front yes, but not at the back. The back needs to be a solid connection.

Try a simple test. Put the wheels (and tires) on it. Sit it on the ground. Put a jack on the center of the diff, as far forward as possible, at or near the ujoint. Lift it up and watch how far it twists. If it's good, it will only move about 1/8" at the ujoint (maybe 1/4" max). It should lift the car off the ground before it moves that much.

Be careful. I can't emphasize this enough. Be careful when jacking it up. If it does what I think it will do, the axle will twist a lot, The ujoint might even hit the top of the tunnel. Everything will move a lot, way more than you would ever expect. Figure out a way to not be under the car while jacking it up.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pictures, but what I see doesn't look right.

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think he was referring to the top of the diff housing bracket.
    I can see the thru-bolted tab on the top...
    I find this thread interesting as I spent a good deal of my afternoon researching torque rod install on turbo deisel trucks. My lifted suburban is having nasty spring wrap issues.

Swervin, I assume you are talking about the coil setup like my IROC has.. and yeah, it's a solid connection to the rear diff on it. The locator bar looks like it will figure into the mix though. My IROC rotates a hell a lot if you remove the torque arm.

Looks cool guys:cool:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  7. swerven

swerven Veteran Member

I'm not seeing that. I want to, but I don't.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

bracket goes over the end of the diff with tabs top and bottom of diff, but yeah.. only one rod with a heim joint on it. Like I said, maybe the track bar on the backside comes into play.
    I'm guessing you mean a top rod to complete the triangle..

9. swerven

swerven Veteran Member

Yes, there's a bracket with (what appears to be) nothing attached. No triangulation = no solid connection = carnage.

Track bar might keep the carnage within the confines of the car, but it won't prevent carnage.:roadkill:

10. quadriderkyle

quadriderkyle Member

based on all of the pictures I have seen you are all correct. he has created a 3 link suspension with all 3 links on the bottom of the rear end assembly; rear end can just fall over backward, only thing keeping it upright are the shocks and they wont hold even for a second if the car is driven. needs to make his torque arm like 74RAT's