torque arm with coil overs. yes it works

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by purpleflame, Dec 28, 2010.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

thinking about changing the bracket now I know what I need, but from what I have been told you want adjustment in the rear to pitch the diff and a adjustment in the front will only push the rear backwards and i wanted to be able to set the pitch like the fully adjustable torque arms they use on 4th gens.Thus why Im posting pics and asking for advice to make sure. this is just mock up and Im open for any change?

2. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

well can you not make an up down adjustable bracket in the front to get you pinion angle?

3. purpleflame

We looked at doing that but I was worried about it hanging too far down and hitting anything, if it got any lower it would of been like 3 inches from the ground as it is its flush with the bottom of the trans mount.

4. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

well if you could make that point your lowest adjustment maybe 8* neg. then would you have room to go up?

5. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

or maybe use your heims to adjust it at the rear instead of the bracket? im not second guessing or nit picking , only trying to be of help.if i step on your toes let me know.i know weight is everything on a racecar.

6. purpleflame

thats kinda what I was thinkin removing the bracket and just attaching a new one to the bottom of the bolt that holds that 80lb monster. it came from moser and the adapter bracket is an anchor and at first I thought I needed it but starting to think maybe just attaching to one of the posts welded on the rear to hold it on. does seem like the bracket is not needed. will also see how much neg on the down I can get. it sits at -2 right now and was told -2 to -4 is wear you want it to sit so when you apply torque it goes up to 0. I'll see what i can do.and no worries lik I said all opinnions are helpful and I got really thick skin.

7. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

-2 to -4 will probably be about right.you will get alot less wrap than with the leafs.that thing should hook hard!

8. purpleflame

thats the hope, still wondering if I need more adjustment on the LCA's noticed most have a few setting points to adjust for anti-squat but need to get it running and drive it before I'll now how it launches.
    lot of work when your too broke to buy from the big boys and just bolt the stuff on.

9. sweetsoul

sweetsoul Veteran Member

i have always built my own stuff.its amazing how you can build something you think is unique , then go somewhere and see someone with something just like it that they bought.i was just thinking about squat and angles on the lowers myself.just remember if you pull strings parallel to the lower bar and center bar or draw an imaginary line so to speak , wherever they intersect , is the lift point that the suspension will feel.so you need to start with it near the center of the car, or maybe slightly forward.

10. purpleflame

I hear that I started this two years ago and noone had it in kit form then DSE builds a four link for dale jr for his 72 then heidts comes along with a four link now BMR has a torque arm kit for second gens. If only they would give a guy like me a job hell Im right on track with their design as they are just dont have all day to come up with designs like they do. one day maybe in the next life. oh well least I can say I built mine myself.