Torque Arm

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by SPG, Mar 29, 2020.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

First and foremost, car will be mainly street use, I hope to do a lot of autocrossing but I'm probably 5 years away from that.

I've been doing a lot of research in rear suspension recently and it looks like every system has it's trade offs. I'm aware leafs can work well but they lack adjustability. I know DSE makes great products but cutting a bunch of holes in my car for a 4 link does not interest me.

I looked into IRS but the only bolt on solution (heidts) seems like show suspension and has exhaust routing issues I don't like. art morrison is great and proven but requires me to cut up the entire rear of my car.

Anyways that brings me to my current solution, a torque arm. From what I have found it gives me the ride height adjustability I want for my dumb requirements and seems to be my best overall compromise of what I want to do with my car (exhaust routed a certain way, be able to easily adjust ride height with shocks...perform well)

I have found 3 main people BMR, Speedtech, and Chassisworks

From looking at it, it looks like this will force me into a rear end so I will probably have to buy a ford 9" and will look into a full floater as it will be stronger, and safer than building up my 10 bolt. (and means it will take longer for my car to be on all 4 wheels again)

Anyways, does anyone have experience with these set ups? BMR seems to be the most affordable which is nice, and comes with a watts link, the other two makes that an optional upgrade from the looks of it which means more $$$. Shocks on BMR are sold separately.

Speedtech looks to be about middle of the road in pricing, I know people seem to like their other products so I can't imagine this one is bad. Both speedtech and BMR look to use viking shocks so it will match the front of my car

Chassisworks seems nice, and the most expensive out of all the options, the real main benefit from them is they they're about 20 minute drive away from me. I'm also sure their stuff is fantastic, but what I really want to know is if it's an extra few grand fantastic. (I can't tell if that rear axle is sold separately, I think it is) Seen a lot of bad customer support reviews from them though which is concerning with the amount of money that will be spent.

I intend to weld all of these options to my car to give them the most strength that I can.

so thats where I stand, I'd like to know everyone's opinions. Not really interested in other setups unless you can provide strong arguments for something else that doesn't require me to obliterate the rear end of my car with a saw.

2. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

I am working on installing the Chassisworks setup in my car (full ground-up build, going to be years before its on the road). Don't forget you also need their subframe connectors/g-connector support system as well, not included in the price of the rear suspension setup. My reasons for going with them were their adjustability is equal to or better than any of the other kits I looked at, the subframe connectors/g-connector system should add a decent amount of rigidity (and comes with a driveshaft loop), and I liked the look and design of the watts link setup. Is this worth the added cost? Maybe, really more personal preference. I don't care for the design/look of bmr's torque arm to axle mount, or speedtech's design of the front torque arm mount (appears to rely on bushing deflection for up/down movement).

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I talked to a chassisworks rep on the phone earlier, and he said the subframe connectors is included in the price, but with the watts link it adds up to about 4k before you get a rear end.
    It looks like they have one of the better setups available as well, get what you pay for really. I can't really find a lot of people using them, but the few that I have seem to love it.

4. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

I would definitely have that rep do the ordering for you then, because when I ordered mine (70-73 version though) it was NOT included. As far as people loving their setups, the only thing I have ever heard complaints about that they sell are their varishocks (leaking/failing/etc, often after sitting for long periods). It's their employees that seem to create the most trouble.

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

ya I should look into the shocks, because I don't want different shocks in the rear than I do in the front. I plan on having vikings up front....hopefully they can reduce the price if I pick something else. They're a 20ish minute drive from me so I hope that makes dealing with them a bit easier.

I also need to look into rear ends, I'm probably going to get a full float, but not sure who to get it from though. most certainly going to set me back at least 5k though

6. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

For what its worth, I'm planning on using the kore 3 floater kit, since I am using a c6 brake setup and already have c7 hubs out front. Bolts on to a ford 9" with big ford/torino ends.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

CAll Kenny at Speedway Engineering , he has a great true full floater for $1500, 31 spline, then get the 3rd member from Even Weller Racing , talk to AJ, really nice guys , they have a Wilwood brake kit for that system that cost me , well can't say here but let me know if you need more info.

8. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

that's a Millerbuilt kit but charge $600 more for it.

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

Millerbuilt $1598 W/O axles. Kore 3 $2048 WITH gun drilled 35 spline axles. $450 for a set of axles isn't a great deal, but it isn't horrible. I would rather get everything together as a kit, so if there is an issue I'm only dealing with one company over one product.

10. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

ok I could only see the $13** vs $19** kits