Torque thrust chrome plated vs. PVD finish

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by silver81, Mar 21, 2017.

1. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

Looking at torque thrust d vn605 15 x 7's for my 81 z. They seem to offer the same wheel in either chrome plate or PVD finish. I understand that the difference between them is that PVD is some form of vapor deposited coating while plating is the old school dipping process. PVD is said to be more durable in harsh weather conditions as it is less subject to cracking/peeling problems. For a summers-only car is there any difference between the two? Is one shinier than the other? Is the maintenance the same for both? If they look and last the same in mild weather conditions is there any reason not to go the cheaper route? I think the PVD is about $25 cheaper than the chrome plate

2. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

i bought a set of used torque thrust 2's and they are just polished aluminum with no coating on them. they were not very old when i bought them but looked like they had been in the rain and it took a lot of polishing to get them close to 100% again. the water spots were a pain to get off of them. i wish these had a coating on them. not sure about the different coatings available on the ones you are looking for. i had a set of the american racing outlaw 1 rims for 15 years prior to what i have now and they were great. they just had a clear coat on them and i never had an issue with them. good luck with your purchase.

3. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I also have the TT II's with the polished finish.

They look beautiful all polished and cleaned up, but a royal pain in the ass to get that way. I usually dedicate an entire weekend to polishing them up in spring. By winter they look awful again...

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Mother's Powerball on a power drill makes polishing a hell of a lot easier. I've got one small and one big. I thought for sure the bullet hole aluminum wheels on my truck were done...no chance to make them look good again. That Powerball made light work out of them.

5. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

TT's are all made in China now. The Chrome plating is thin with the copper layer hue showing through. If you compare to a triple plate chrome (US version) you can see a clear difference. The polished version has all the issues already noted. If you want a nice wheel, US made, in true US triple plate chrome, try Cragar 610C series. They are fabulous. I have had mine 6 years now and they still look new. All aluminum, chrome plated and only 18 lbs each. Check them out before you spend the money on the TT's. You can get them in 15" 17" 18" and they use acorn lugnuts. Extended shaft/acorn lug nuts also work great when the wheel stud is short like on rotors. Maintenance is simply...wipe with a microfiber cloth and done.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...3m5clMyvLrhh558siNx72lomIkdXHU54RMRoCbfrw_wcB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. silver81

silver81 Veteran Member

kinda what I thought, the polished are more maintenance intensive than the plated. so I think I'll go plated and I will check out the cragars.

7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The nice thing about these Cragars is they have the correct backspace for our cars. 7" wide with 4.25" backspace and 8" wide with 4.5" backspace.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Chrome on aluminum wheels generally winds up pretty much of a mess over time, and no amount of elbow grease can fix it. I'd go polished and take car of them. And check those rims for roundness and runout, not possible to get a good balance and smooth ride if the wheels are not spot on.