tough read for dog owners....

dirtmod08

Veteran Member
Jan 17, 2007
Central Illinois
The most disturbing thing about putting Reno down was the look of confusion on his face when he would stumble on his front legs (leading up to the time he had to go). It had to be tearing him apart that his body would not cooperate.

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
I just lost my Great Dane mix on Tuesday. I had to make the tough call. He was 15,and had been regressing from DM for the last 2 years at least. The last time he walked was about a week and a half before. I brought him to the vet to see if there was any way to make him more comfortable. I wasn't planning on putting him down,but as I was nearing the vet's office,I started to get a pit in my stomach about something feeling wrong. My vet is an awesome guy who has done a lot for us over the years. He pretty much told me tat he had 2 Shepard's with DM,and when they got to this pointo,he put them down. He looked so happy and perky,and was eating cookies as we sat there(he never does that). From the waist up,he looked like the young pup I always knew. From the waist down,he was totally paralyzed,and it was just going to travel upward. I totally didn't plan on doing it,but something came over me that made me feel that a I was doing the right thing. I have second guessed myself over the last few days,but I trust in my vet's opinion,and know that it was not going to be long before I would be keeping around for my own selfish reasons,and not for his. I bawled my eyes out,and my wife said that she had never seen me like that. It is getting a little better each day.

seventy7camaro

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 6, 2005
Covington, Virginia U.S.A.
Rich Schmidt said:
I just lost my Great Dane mix on Tuesday. I had to make the tough call. He was 15,and had been regressing from DM for the last 2 years at least. The last time he walked was about a week and a half before. I brought him to the vet to see if there was any way to make him more comfortable. I wasn't planning on putting him down,but as I was nearing the vet's office,I started to get a pit in my stomach about something feeling wrong. My vet is an awesome guy who has done a lot for us over the years. He pretty much told me tat he had 2 Shepard's with DM,and when they got to this pointo,he put them down. He looked so happy and perky,and was eating cookies as we sat there(he never does that). From the waist up,he looked like the young pup I always knew. From the waist down,he was totally paralyzed,and it was just going to travel upward. I totally didn't plan on doing it,but something came over me that made me feel that a I was doing the right thing. I have second guessed myself over the last few days,but I trust in my vet's opinion,and know that it was not going to be long before I would be keeping around for my own selfish reasons,and not for his. I bawled my eyes out,and my wife said that she had never seen me like that. It is getting a little better each day.
I've been through it too Brother. Sorry for your loss.

Latest posts