Tough week... Doesn't pay to take a vacation anymore...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, May 25, 2019.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

My daughter graduated college on May 11th. As a graduation gift to her, my girlfriend flew us both out to Maryland for 10 days. We had a good time for the first week or so then I got the news about all the rain and flooding in my area. Sitting captive 1200 miles away I got to watch my property go under on the evening news. Got back into town Friday morning, and hwy 20 into Skiatook had just reopened. Bird creek had crested at 36.5 feet, 4.5 feet above the old record level. Somehow, the water level stopped rising just as it reached the threshold of my front door. The weatherstripping at the bottom of the door is damaged and some wave action had washed up under the door. My mail slot is right there and I had a couple soggy bs magazines and some damp mail. Dodged a major bullet... sort of.

Five vehicles parked in the driveways were not so lucky. Two pickups, a Jeep, my Impala, and my girlfriends 79 Corvette all had water up to mid windshield or higher. The jeep and Impala are not worth saving. The two trucks drive trains will be pulled out for future projects, and the 'Vette now has to go into intensive care in order to save it... Water also got to the riding and push mowers in the garage, but they too can be saved. This afternoon, I picked up an 04 Chrysler mini van to get me to and from work. Got a whole lotta damage control ahead of me this weekend... I just keep telling myself it could have been a lot worse if water had gotten into the house. Just keep smiling... Just keep smiling...

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Wow! Sucks about the vehicles. Hope they were insured. Just glad your home wasn't flooded.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

So sorry to hear this Britt. You did dodge a major bullet with your home, but still a long road to hoe with the vehicles. Hope you had comp on them and the insurance company is fair with you.

4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Nothing was insured for flood damage. The Vette had full coverage until Carol quit driving it so it's all on me. It needed some work anyway. Got the engine drained, flushed and refilled Monday but I still have to drain the trans and diff, this afternoon after work. It's going to need a fairly major makeover probably including new paint. It will also give me a chance to fix and update some things on it that have bugged me ever since we got it. The interior panels are savable with a good cleaning. It will need new weatherstripping. Not sure what brand was on it but the window seals glued themselves to the glass. I will NOT be using that crap again...

5. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about all the flood damage you got. It seems like Oklahoma has been catching hell. We’ve had more than our share of flooding down here in Texas. Most of our Dallas lakes have been closed for weeks

6. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Horrible News.
    All my stuff is liability only and no flood..I feel for ya.

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Well, your post started off good, lol. Congrats to your daughter. You should be proud of her accomplishment. Sorry to hear about the flooding issues. Between all of the flooding and tornadoes this spring, I feel like we're in a shooting gallery. All you have to do is watch the news and know it could always be worse. Hang in there, Doc.

8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Man, sorry to hear about the vehicles but you did dodge a bullet! My uncle is here from southern Texas and he was telling us about the loose barges that dang near wiped out the dam in Oklahoma. That is a bad deal!

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

DAM not the riding mower!!!! j/k
    Very sorry to hear.
    positives:
    1. Health
    2. roof over your head
    3. daughter graduate
    4. new vehicle time!

Really very sorry you have to go through this.

10. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear, floods have no mercy. Made it thru Harvey but man was worried the whole time.
    Lost alot during Hurricane Ike but at least it was over in 15ish hours.
    Glad to hear the house didn't take water in.
    Best of luck to fixing and improving stuff as you get over this small hurdle in life.