Traction bars- UMI vs CPP vs Caltrac, etc

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So what is the difference between all of these? They all look relatively the same.

I'm thinking about my next mod and started wondering about these types of low profile traction bars. I definitely want them to be inconspicuous.

I have Herb Adams style front brackets already and they helped with reducing the rear end squat some. But I'd like to eliminate that completely or near completely if possible.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Paying attention to this. Just installed a posi and all I get is wheel hop on a hard launch.
    23 years ago, i installed Vette Brakes fiberglass leafs in my 77 with a 502. I know those things weren't very popular, but they worked well.

Looking for something to tame the wheel hop.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Umi seems to run real well on theirs.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

The CPP ones are i think about half the cost of UMI, so I'm curious what the differences are...

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

China junk vs made in usa? I've never been one to look at cpp for quality or tech help.

Call umi on Monday. They're in Pittsburgh at the northest muscle car challenge this weekend. Their 71 camaro had the best lap time yesterday

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'll call them....

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

The nice thing about the fiberglass leafs was their light weight as opposed to bolting more metal to the car. Not a fan of adding weight.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Except they were prone to cracking from repeatedly absorbing spring wind up. It happened to me with just a measly 300 hp.

Split longitudinally down the center of the spring after going over some railroad tracks. I looked at the other spring and it was already cracking too. They only lasted about 3 or 4 years IIRC.

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’ve never been a fan of traction bars in general. The lift bars are better than slapper bars, but they can do strange things under braking.

my approach would be more towards the Global West Cat-V rear springs. They have and extra leaf up front to help with the wheel hop, and nothing is better than having a spherical bearing up front. Combine those with some well tuned shocks and the wheel hop will be mellowed.

I would suggest calling Strano-Parts and talking to Sam. He’s a dealer for UMI, Global West and pretty much everyone else. Sam is maybe the most knowledgeable suspension guy I know.
    http://www.stranoparts.com/

oh and lest I forget to say: CPP is cheap Chinese clone-crap.

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

The problem is I'm not looking to lower the rear end. It's at roughly stock height and I like it like that. I remember when I was looking at replacement rear springs earlier on, all the "performance upgrade" springs lowered the car by a couple of inches. Even one of the vendors on this site bull-$hitted me about his supposed "stock height" performance springs and screwed me over.

That said, trying to look at the Cat-5 springs now, GW's web page is down... and the springs don't even come up in a search. Are they even stilll making them?

Honestly though, I'm terrified about dealing with gambling on ride height with new springs. It was a HUGE PITA last time...