Traction bars- UMI vs CPP vs Caltrac, etc

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Veteran Member

YES what he said. Have had them on my car for years best thing i did for traction .

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

they even work better when you use their Split Mono leaf springs and their single adjustable rear shocks

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Not sure what the push back is about with the Caltracs. some of the verbiage posted seems to be just regurgitated posts from other forums. I have been using these things for a number of years and they are assume. ride is a little stiffer than stock but at the end of the day with a stock setup the pot hole you run over will feel the same. Car stays straight when getting on it and handles as good as the best of them.

muscl car and dave@ztech like this.
  4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

If it's not a full out drag and or/competition car, the right leaf's with top quality shocks and bushings can hold up amazingly well. Even in a drag environment.

5. Madcow63

Madcow63 Member

I agree. I’ve had them on mine for years and the only downside I see is they sure a little loud. They do not affect ride quality at all.

6. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

We built ours to mitigate wheel hop off the line at autocross events. We used to have to baby the clutch on launch and get rolling before putting power down. Now our guy Roger leaves very aggressively with no wheel hop. If he feeds too much power it simply spins with no drama.

Our lead engineer, Nate, designed them based on some previous experience in the dirt car world and to be honest he didn't even look at any Cal Trac pics. So, not sure how they compare. I know ours are quiet on the street and help reduce wheel hop and improve forward traction. I've never seen the CPP ones in person.

Brett Liukkonen likes this.
  7. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Veteran Member

don't know about how it works with the split monos, (I've had mine for so long don't know if the mono was available when I got mine)but I've been running them with Landrums rear drag springs and they work.

muscl car likes this.
  8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. Inconspicuous is not really going to happen. You will see whatever you decide to put on your car, and anyone else in the know will also.

I have a street driven 79 t-top camaro, welded in frame extenders, and a cheepo set of lakewood slappers, that I made my own extensions for that bump against the front spring eye. Put on a new set of factory spec rear leaf springs with wide street tires and low pressure, and get absolutely zero wheel hop. My car plants and rips up the tires with the steering wheel and car feeling perfect. When I don't want to spin tire, it launches just fine...for a street car.

If this is your intent, then this advice might save you a lot of money. If you plan on auto crossing or all out drag race, then I admit, this might not be the best advice for you, as I'd be out of my element.

9. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

I was using this style on a 500hp 70 nova I had back in the day. They worked very well. I'm thinking of a set for my 79 RS.

[​IMG]

camaro71/holland likes this.
  10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Understood... By "inconspicuous" I don't necessarily mean "invisible". It's just that the UMI ones don't seem to hang down quite as far as say the CalTracs. Just looks cleaner IMO...

Coadster32 likes this.