Tractor tranny fluid in TH350 and Summit Race Mufflers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Bobo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Great site here . I kinda hide in the background and learn but i figured ild post a couple of things . While building my 79 I was looking for the right mufflers for it . I found Summit Race mufflers . I searched on here for info on them and found little . Bought them anyway .They are a chambered muffler built like a tank . Sound like flowmasters . Quit while cruising but sound sweet when you get on her . And at $28 I think thier a steal . My car seems to love them with the Headman Headers and turndowns .
    My second thing ild like to share is Ive been reading another forum about running John Deere Hy gard Tractor tranny fluid in car trannys . Its suppose to give firmer shifts , lower operating temps and makes your converter lock up better Pluss its cheaper .Anybody ever run it in thier Camaro ? Heres the link for that forum Sounds interesting http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58907.0

2. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Locally its $10.50 a gallon . Price might be higher else where Cheaper yet if you buy a 5 gallon pail .Last winter I swapped out my V6 for a 357 . I used the TH350 that was in the car . It worked well at the time .After around 500 miles it started to slip . It got real bad real fast untill one day I ended up driving the last mile home in reverse . I picked up another th350 and started to put her in Today . I pulled the trans cooler lines at the radiator so that I could pump the fluid out and not have to take bath while under the car . I noticed the fluid came out pretty slow for a open tranny line .After I got the car jacked up I checked my tranny line and here the one steel tranny line was about 1/2 flattened out . When I put my motor in my cherry picker wasnt long enought to get the motor all the way back . I lowered the motor and trans down on the cross member to reposition the picker .I must have set it down on the tranny line (( Kicking myself Now !!! )) Ive put a zillion motors and trannys in so I should know better .. With the flow in that line restricted Im sure it must have caused the tranny to get hot or line preasure to drop or probaully both .
    Anyway I was thinking about trying the tractor stuff on the replacement tranny .

3. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

Lots of 4x4 use it but don't do it if you live too far north unless you want to wait till your tranny warms up to move.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some people use tractor hydraulic fluid too.
    It's clear so it's hard to read on a dipstick.

But you can use a quart of normal pink tranny fluid with it for some color.

5. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Nobody else has tried this . I was hoping some one would say ..Great stuff put a million miles on my tranny and still going stroung

6. caribbean camaro

caribbean camaro Veteran Member

I use some brand hydraulic fluid marketed by CASE called "HyTran" in my Th-350 race tranny

never had any problems here - some say that for long haul driving - it may not be best - but I only race so can;t say yay or nay

I would not personally have any problems using it though based on my experience in my race tranny

7. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

8. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

We were convince by others to try the JD fluid last year in a customer's ride, TH400 with brake, 900 HP 565, etc. On the brake the converter flashed 6000 and crept to 6100 with Amsoil ATF. With the tractor fluid it shot up to 6600/6700 on the brake (more or less the engine's HP peak) but the customer ran it that way. First weekend this year he ran the car and on the second day the trans broke. It had been flaring on the shifts the day prior. When the trans was disassembled the plates were toast. When we put it back in the car we went back to the Amsoil ATF, converter back down to 6000 on the brake.

The clutch damage could have had some result of the JD fluid but there is no way to be certain since the trans was not new at the time of the fluid change. I won't go back to that fluid, nor does our trans builder recommend it. We'll stick to the Dextron and Type F and leave the tractor oil to those that like it.

9. Bobo

Bobo Veteran Member

Thanks for the link . I tried a search before posting and it didnt come up . I was hoping that jakeshoe would weight in on it .Ive read some of his post on here about shift kits . Seems like he really knows about trannys .If he doesnt know he should become a politcian he is very convincing . L.O.L.. I think Ill give it a try .

10. ezcruisn71

ezcruisn71 Veteran Member

I have used the Type-F fluid for 30years in my TH350 and TH400 and it works great. I have never had a problem with it.