Tragic

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles

But man, it seems like the P-39 pilot wasn't paying attention or something? From what it looked like on the couple of vidoes, it appeared he was on a collision course with the B-17 for more than enough time to pull out of it...

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Yes, just prayers for souls on board, and for all the families involved. I've interacted with several CAF personnel through out my career, and they are non less than professional.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
:eek:

No chance of survival for anyone on those planes.
Heartbreaking tragedy and loss.

Prayers to the families of the pilots and crew.

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
Same as above prayers for family's who lost loved ones and spectators that witnessed this today. I'd like to know how that happened. The angles I've viewed look like the P-39 was a kamikaze plane. Did the P-39 pilot maybe have a medical experience or something. I mean I just don't understand how you miss seeing an airplane the size of a B-17 right in front of you. Very sad!

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
And I wonder if the B17 was giving rides to the public? Pretty common at air shows for this as it's pretty popular. I'd like to take a ride in one too. But this tragedy sure has a suspicious look to it I'm thinking. Pilots are aware of their surroundings by nature.

CamaroDoc

Veteran Member
Sep 13, 2003
Skiatook, Okla. 74070
Possibly a mock attack gone wrong or like it was suggested, a medical issue with the fighter pilot. It was actually a P63 King Cobra. Looked like it cut the B17 in half, right behind the wing. Whatever the cause, it's sad for those who lost loved ones and for the aviation world to lose two more rare warbirds. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the crash. Even witnessing it would be traumatizing...

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
And I wonder if the B17 was giving rides to the public? Pretty common at air shows for this as it's pretty popular. I'd like to take a ride in one too. But this tragedy sure has a suspicious look to it I'm thinking. Pilots are aware of their surroundings by nature.
No one from the public in the plane

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Saw a couple different angles, looked like the fighter was flying in tandem with another fighter and the one pilot just did not see the B17.