Tragic

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
As noted above by John, I'm not sure black boxes could be integrated into the airframes to provide any tangible data. And I'd love for someone (the officials) to explain how improving maintenance and safety inspections would have prevented this tragedy.
Probably the most you could do is put in something equivalent to a dash-cam on a car... but the data recorder part of it would be structurally simliar to a black box that would survive the crash.

But I agree with a comment earlier that this is a knee-jerk reaction that doesn't really make practical sense. The pilots who climb into these planes know the risks. It's not like they're flying the general public around like a commercial airline.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Same down here. The war plane museum just down the road from me has all manner of retired military and airline mechanics and engineers taking care of our planes, and if you know those type of guys, they really give the planes the belt and suspenders treatment.
That's exactly the airport I was talking about! We were training there in 2006 or so.

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
That's exactly the airport I was talking about! We were training there in 2006 or so.
Right on! The Canadian warplane museum in Hamilton has a fantastic collection of various generations of warplane, including the last example of an airworthy Lancaster. I'm fortunate to have those birds flying right over my house most weekends, and I never get used to it. Everytime the Lanc flies over my house, I still run out to have a look. The sound is awe inspiring.

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to go on a ride in the wartime Douglas Dakota. It was not only a sensorial treat, it was also the most safe I ever felt in a plane.

Also, should anyone find themselves in the area, Ottawa also has a fantastic air museum full of static and dynamic examples of significant aircraft.

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Right on! The Canadian warplane museum in Hamilton has a fantastic collection of various generations of warplane, including the last example of an airworthy Lancaster. I'm fortunate to have those birds flying right over my house most weekends, and I never get used to it. Everytime the Lanc flies over my house, I still run out to have a look. The sound is awe inspiring.

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to go on a ride in the wartime Douglas Dakota. It was not only a sensorial treat, it was also the most safe I ever felt in a plane.

Also, should anyone find themselves in the area, Ottawa also has a fantastic air museum full of static and dynamic examples of significant aircraft.
Awesome group. My dad flew their B-25 when it was privately owned in the early 70s and I got to ride on it once when I was 7. It developed an engine/prop issue and the owner was killed in a car accident, so it sat derelict for a few years at Friendship Airport (now BWI-Marshall in Baltimore, MD) until it was acquired by the CWHM. Here's a few pics of the B-25 then (my dad in front) and after the CWHM acquired it.
Dads b25-2h.jpg
Dads b25-5h.jpg
CWH-B-25-Mitchell.jpg

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
Awesome group. My dad flew their B-25 when it was privately owned in the early 70s and I got to ride on it once when I was 7. It developed an engine/prop issue and the owner was killed in a car accident, so it sat derelict for a few years at Friendship Airport (now BWI-Marshall in Baltimore, MD) until it was acquired by the CWHM. Here's a few pics of the B-25 then (my dad in front) and after the CWHM acquired it.
View attachment 150944 View attachment 150946 View attachment 150945
Great story! I see that guy fly over my house every weekend in the summer. Such a small world.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
I was hoping that this wasn’t the b17 that was hangered in spring tx but alas it was. I’d been there several times and the treasurer for the plane’s non-profit organization worked in my office.
I took multiple tours of it, met the pilots and ground crew, and was planning to volunteer to help maintain it but had a sudden opportunity to retire early back to my home in california so had to pass. May all those lost in this tragedy Rest in peace.

Trivia: The air ship was the 2nd to last finished at the boeing factory at end of the war. The rest behind her were all scrapped. She patrolled the coastline for awhile before was assigned to nasa for doing aptmospheric testing iirc.

Last edited:

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
More vids with different angles.

I honestly cant see a case for it being done on purpose.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX

I believe the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight also has a flying Lancaster bomber. It is amazing to hear those four RR Merlin engines running!!

Latest posts