Tragic

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Like the narrator said, the fighter plane has notoriously restricted peripheral viewing ability.
The real issue is the uncontrolled nature of an air show environment.

Looking at some pics of a P39 Air Cobra's cockpit it does look like forward vision is obstructed

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
Awesome group. My dad flew their B-25 when it was privately owned in the early 70s and I got to ride on it once when I was 7. It developed an engine/prop issue and the owner was killed in a car accident, so it sat derelict for a few years at Friendship Airport (now BWI-Marshall in Baltimore, MD) until it was acquired by the CWHM. Here's a few pics of the B-25 then (my dad in front) and after the CWHM acquired it.
View attachment 150944 View attachment 150946 View attachment 150945
There are some remains of a B-25 that wrecked in 1943 up on Sharp Top in Bedford County, Va. My Dad and I hiked up there when I was just a kid and saw the wreckage. There are a few pictures on the interwebs of what is left up there on the side of the mountain. They try to keep the location from being common knowledge because people have defaced the wreckage and the monument that was placed up there.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
I'm not sure. I thought that it only taxied, bit I could be wrong, it's happened before!
Here's a link to the BBMF Lanc and a Spitfire taking off from London a few months ago. They are flown by active RAF pilots as the flight is part of the RAF and is not a private group.

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
Like the narrator said, the fighter plane has notoriously restricted peripheral viewing ability.
The real issue is the uncontrolled nature of an air show environment.
Airshow airspace is rigidly controlled due to the type of flying involved. Every move is carefully planned and coordinated. The pilots and aircraft are not replaceable. And now 2 aircraft, and 3 pilots are gone. We don't know all the details and second guessing benefits no one. We all have our opinions but I am sure we all mourn the loss of the people and aircraft.

Latest posts