Trailer axles

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Bill81, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Bill81

Bill81 Veteran Member

Have any of your guys repaired a bad axle before? Someone put something heavy on my trailer and bent my axle a little bit. I didn't know if heating it up and bending it back would be a good idea or not. I was going to try and heat it and bend it back. Then weld something across it to strengthen it up. It's a 3500lb axle. The other axle isn't bent. My guess is someone put something to far up on the trailer. I always put my rear wheel on the line that goes across the trailer, just past the dove tail part. I have been looking for axle to just replace it, and can't find one with the same measurements. I found one at Northern Tool, and it was 7000lb, but the saddle that sits on the leaf spring was not the right distance.

2. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

And people look at you like you're a dick when you don't want to just loan it out to everyone.:)

3. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

You mean the axle is bent where the wheels slant in ?

4. Bill81

Bill81 Veteran Member

BINGO. I have had 2 different people damage the trailer, and only one of them confessed. Of course, it was easy to see my damaged fender when he brought it back.

The axle is bent in the center. It was the axle closer to the front of the trailer. It caused the insides of the tires to wear down. The rear axle is still straight.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Dmystix

Dmystix Veteran Member

6. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

I would take it off the trailer & straighten back like it was.Those axles actually come with a slight arch that bows toward the bottom of the trailer floor.You may be forced to take both axles out & take them to a machine shop & match them so your tires wear right.Of course at the expense of the bone head who bent the axles.

7. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

You got that right. I'm very selective who I let use my trailer. I'm not afraid to say no. The last time I said no to someone they acted worse then my kids begging for candy.

8. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I actually built my trailer because I got sick of repairing everyone else's, lol.

9. millpondmonster

millpondmonster Veteran Member

far enough out it takes 3 days to get a text messa
    Go to a TRUCK (as in semi truck) alignment shop, most of them have the capability to "bend" or "arch" the axle back to spec's while it is still attached to the trailer.

10. dirtplay1975

dirtplay1975 Veteran Member

A buddy used to work with a guy who had a hot pink car trailer. When asked why hot pink his reply was "would you want to borrow a hot pink car trailer"