Tranny cooler- hoakie line connections

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by need-for-speed, Nov 4, 2014.

1. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Thanks dog ! I'll see if I can find some bulk ps hose.

2. need-for-speed

Thanks Rich ! good to know on the braided hose (seeing as how I'm cheap anyway). I'll use power steering return line hose per dogwater. And it's cheaper than braided too!

win - win !!

3. need-for-speed

Thank you bondo. You've given me some good options to think about. In the pic below, it shows I have the original line coming from the tranny with the male fitting that used to screw into the radiator tranny cooler. Can I buy a (female) fitting that screws onto that with barb on the other end?

Option 2:
    option 1 above leaves me with about 18 - 20 inches of rubber line between the OEM steel line and the cooler connections. Should I go to the trouble to fab a steel line that gets me to within 3 inched of the cooler? If yes, do they make a "coupler type fitting that I could use to join the original steel line (with it's male fitting) to a new piece of steel line?

[​IMG]

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can use a compression fitting to join steel to steel if they are the exact same OD. Most people use the crappy brass unions the auto parts store sells. I would not. I would buy some steel Swage lock type compression fittings from McMaster or MSC or Grainger, which will be rated for way more pressure than you need, just for safety's sake. The brass ones are usually rated for very low pressure.

5. need-for-speed

Thanks bondo. We use swagelok at work so,I can get a discount. I've been avoiding cutting off the flared end of the OEM line, but maybe that would be the cleanest way to do it. Hopefully the OEM line is still perfectly round.......

6. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the other option to make a good steel to steel connection is keep the flared end, and flare another piece of steel, and then use a flare union.

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I'm a huge fan of the -6 teflon lines, and a cooler with threaded ports.

Good luck.

8. need-for-speed

Thanks Bondo. That sounds like another good option. I would like to run some additional steel line so that I only have 3 or 4 inches of rubber

:cheers:

9. need-for-speed

Good to know. Thanks !

10. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

This.

Or if you insist on the low buck approach, connecting metal lines with rubber line, at least slightly 'bell' the ends of the steel line with a double flare tool so the clamp CANNOT come off over the belled end.

It took me two complete, trans draining hose blow offs to learn that. Now, all threaded and proper connections. I don't mind using brass, I never use teflon tape though, only paste (pipe dope).