Tranny leak that keeps getting worse

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
1. Let's keep calm and get more specific. 2. Are we talking about the seal on the manual shaft that is connected to the shift cable?
3. If so, the seal is included in every regular kit or can be obtained as single piece. Get a puller/installer as shown in the picture. It helps you removing/installing this seal on most common GM transmissions without pulling the pan.
4. If this isn't the seal you're talking about, go back to the first point.

s-l400.jpg

hdSTULx13crPD7tW6

MJwrabbit

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 31, 2001
Tewksbury, MA, USA
I have also seen trannies leak when a car sits a long time. Seems like maybe the converter drains back into pan and overfills it. then all kinds of things leak. I have a friend with a C6 and he puts a baster pan under it when he's done driving the car in the fall. It leaks, he strains it, puts it back in in the spring, doesn't leak while he's using it.

the tranny guy also told me that. Cause when it drains back it gets high enough to where the leak is. I just kills me to have bought a rebuilt tranny to have it leak worse. Its out of warranty.

MJwrabbit

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 31, 2001
Tewksbury, MA, USA
1. Let's keep calm and get more specific. 2. Are we talking about the seal on the manual shaft that is connected to the shift cable?
3. If so, the seal is included in every regular kit or can be obtained as single piece. Get a puller/installer as shown in the picture. It helps you removing/installing this seal on most common GM transmissions without pulling the pan.
4. If this isn't the seal you're talking about, go back to the first point.

View attachment 127931

hdSTULx13crPD7tW6

the tranny guy called it a manual lever shaft kit.

1934chevycoupe

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2013
Harleysville, Pa
When i bought my '70, it was supposed to be a rust free, done car. When i got it, there was a trans leak. I have a lift, so replaced the pan gasket and new filter. Still leaking. Turned out the pump bolts were stripped, and it was a slow migrating leak from the front. Fixed that. Bought a Tremec Magnum.

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
[QUOTE="1934chevycoupe, post: 3872698, member: 71261" Fixed that. Bought a Tremec Magnum.[/QUOTE]
:smokin:

Latest posts