Any ideas on where to mount a trans cooler with fan under the car?I have
a finned 18" dual pass cooler mounted on the right frame connector but
the outside air temp during the summer gets up to 112 on some days and
the trans temp gauge reads over 250.Any ideas? Thanks John

Dogwater

Veteran Member
Dec 23, 2010
SanAntonio Tx
Don't let your trans get up to 250deg. That's like death. You probably could mount it under the car somewhere but with a fan on it. Why not in front of the rad.

Last edited:

RS1979

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Memphis, TN
I used a 12 tube one and carefully zip tied it thru the a/c condenser and radiator. Keeps the fluid nice and cool even in warm weather.

Z28zz383

Veteran Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
If your air temps are 112, and the trans is going up to 250, you might be better off to plumb it into the wet trans cooler in the radiator, as well as the grill mounted one.

Johns79Z28

Veteran Member
May 23, 2006
Orland,Ca. (Northern Cal)
Trans Cooler Mounting

Thanks for the ideas,but in front of the radiator is not an option as when it
had a/c in factory trim the engine temp would get up to 240-260 I think due
in part to no air coming from the lower grill section.During the hot summers in this area(105 to 116 degrees) the engine temp would rise after 4 or 5 miles with the a/c on.I now have 2 AN6 hoses from the turbo 400 trans to the cooler and no a/c , with no lines to the radiator. The engine never gets over 195 anymore.I think I will try to find a place under the car. John

andy736

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2008
s wisconsin
Problem is there is a lot of heat under the car too, especially from the pavement on a 100+ day. Maybe if you have to mount it underneath. Make a air dam to help direct air up into the cooler, kind of like the radiator air dams on 3rd gens, it really works.

Latest posts