Transmission cooling lines

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by hypnotix73, Sep 15, 2020.

1. hypnotix73

hypnotix73 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a quick question for you guys.

I am running a big transmission cooler in the only spot that I have space (under the trunk where the spare tire is). The question I have is that I am going to run transmission lines that are going to be around 12 feet long. Will pressure be reduced or can I run these long of lines without any issues?

Thank you!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pressure won’t change.
    (Those lines probably never see more than 25 PSI.)

The cooling effect from using long lines may lower pressure slightly but not enough to matter for a cooler.

You can use steel fuel line to make the long runs and use rubber transmission lines for the connections.

I’m not sure how much air flow you will get there so the cooler may not be as effective as you would like.

If you take it to the track... Tech inspectors may want to see the rubber lines double clamped.

Good Luck!

hypnotix73 likes this.
  3. hypnotix73

hypnotix73 New Member

Awesome! Thank you so much. This is super helpful.

I bought this transmission cooler a while back: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13750 and I plan on welding up some sort of air duct that will route air to the cooler. It does have a pretty big fan on it too so I think that it should pull the heat pretty well. I spent this past weekend building a frame that makes the mounting of the fan and cooler look really clean. I am pretty happy with it so far.

The lines that I am using from the transmission to the cooler and back are these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/add-23-1501 I'll tuck it all up along the undercarriage of the car with a bunch of rubber cushioned stainless steel cable clamps.

I have spent so much money and time building this car that I am so paranoid of any little thing screwing up my new transmission or really any part of the car haha. I should have this thing ready to take down the track in two months. So excited!

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It never hurts to ask questions.

I think you have it planned out very well. :cool:

Good Luck with your project!

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think we need some pictures. :)

It's just me, but I've gotten away from steel braided lines all together. Just a couple of cons; they're heavy, expensive, and if they rub on anything, they're like sandpaper. Good luck with your project.

flht99b likes this.
  6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are some car shows on the Motor Trend Channel they have done that ,And they use a combination of hard line and braided line to do it.