Transmission crossmember blocking bolt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by rico1g, Nov 22, 2020.

1. rico1g

rico1g New Member

Hey everyone, I’ve been on the forum learning as much as I can but this is my first post. I have a TH350 in my 77 that I recently acquired. My kick down cable was leaking trans fluid due to the plastic portion that connects to the transmission being cracked.

I figured since I’m replacing that cable and don’t know when the last time the fluid was changed I might as well do an oil and filter change. It was going smoothly until I got to the right rear bolt (right before it gets to the notch). The transmission crossmember is forward just enough that I couldn’t fit my socket on the bolt. It’s like the crossmember needs to be a 1/4” further back. Somehow I was able to get a wrench on the bolt to remove it.

Now I’m trying to put the bolt back and it’s not cooperating. My fingers don’t fit to start threading it in by hand. I’ve searched the forum and searched for videos and I haven’t come across anyone mentioning their crossmember covering one of the trans pan bolts.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic of it I will (last time I posted a pic on a forum Photobucket used to be free, so it’s been that long).

Mike

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Undo the trans mount bolts and jack it up a bit. Make sure you have the jack in place.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You've got the pan on with all of the other bolts in place... Right?

Support the transmission with the floor jack (and a piece of wood on the pan).

Then remove the crossmember-to-trans bolt(s) and raise the transmission a bit to get access to that last bolt.

You shouldn't need to loosen the cross member at the ends.

That's the best advice I can give without seeing a pic.

Pics are pretty easy with this forum. No third party hosting is needed.

If you're using a computer...
    Open the pic with MS Paint, use "Select All", click "Copy" and paste it into your post.

From a phone...
    Take a pic, copy the pic and paste it into your post.

4. rico1g

rico1g New Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that.

upload_2020-11-22_6-38-11.png

The lighting is dark and the angle makes it look like there’s no obstruction.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you still can't manage to get that bolt back into the pan with the transmission lifted... Remove the bolts at the end of the crossmember and slide it back a little.