Treating rust in cowl areas

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

My car has some heavy rust corrosion within the side cowl areas down low and some tiny pinholes in an area completely hidden by the fender when it is installed. I can feel the rust by reaching in thru the kick panel vent holes but otherwise very inaccessible to knock down with a wire brush or other abrasive. Considering the limited visibility of the location I do not want to cut out and replace metal.

Was thinking about gloving up and just getting in there with a brush & POR 15 as best as possible. Only concern is I usually mechanically remove as much rust as possible before POR which I can't this time. I'd be applying it on raw rusted surface.

I also like to use Picklex 20 on rust before a coating like POR or Zero Rust, but again, tough to get in there to spray evenly.

Any other suggestions to treat concealed/hidden area to halt the rust?

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Maybe hit it with some Ospho first. Perhaps with a sprayer like this:

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/underseal-gun.html

If you use Ospho, make sure you neutralize it well by re-spraying a coating and then wait a couple of minutes and then thoroughly rinsing with water. Then blow it off with air and then POR 15 (which I personally don't like) or better (IMO) epoxy primer. you can spray it with the same sprayer.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Eastwood frame rail internal coating might be easier than POR

4. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I like to use Corroseal

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

The rest of the car is stripped to bare steel so I don't want to flush with water. That's why I like the Picklex 20. Needs the excess to be blown off or ragged off but once dry, its ready to coat. No rinse needed.

Turns out I was able to peek into the area thru the vent holes better than I thought so can reach with a regular spray bottle.

A long time ago I used a rust converter from olne of the big names. Went on milky, rusty areas turned black when dry. Never could get anything to stick to it so I sworn off any "converter" however, I guess in an area like this, I'm not really caring about top coat....

6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I had my car apart,and the cowl peice off,I tilted the cab back and poured POR15 all thru and down thru the cowl bucket and rockers,til it poured thru the weep holes and cleanout holes in the back.Also was able to coat the cowl bucket since it was removed.