Tremec TKX new kid on the block

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by rosco72z, Nov 6, 2020.

1. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

.68 OD and 3:73 out back should be a nice combo especially if you are running 26 inch tires

I have the .64 TKO in my Camaro and found 3:73 along with a 27 inch tire to be a little tall for my taste as my engine combo is happy running 2400-2600 rpm in top gear which meant I had to run 80+ mph to use it...

https://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

Run the calculator every which way to determine the best ratios for your particular combo.

Now I run the .82 OD TKO in my vette along with 3:73 and a 27 inch tire out back. I went with the .82 as its a rev happy motor and with a 15 lb flywheel it does not like to be lugged around at 2000 rpm in top gear.

Rear tire size makes a big difference, easy to see it on the calculator

2. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Im sure its a good product, At that price, after taxes you can get a MAGNUM 6 speed.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

This sort of transmission is meant for the 4 speed to 5 speed conversion folks. Remove the 4 speed and directly bolt the TKO/TKX and go. Really only needing a new driveshaft and crossmember. When it comes to the T56, its meant for a LS swap...hydraulic clutch bearing, electric speedo, requires a special bellhousing etc...there is more to make it work than a TKO which drives the initial investment up.

Rene Melten and redriderjf87 like this.
  4. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

Yeah that was a big factor for me, that and the TKO being a little smaller and lighter.

Curious to see what you guys think of the X when you get it.

5. badazz81z28

I would expect it to be functionally the same. Probably smoother shifts at RPM, but exactly the same at the TKO. I saw a video comparing the TKO to the TKX and they are pretty much the same internally.

6. Bentley

Bentley Member

The TKX looks great for my project too.... But I NEVER buy first year products or cars... I will be waiting for the first IMPROVED and updated model in a year or so

7. badazz81z28

Its not like a car....don't expect tremec to change anything. If anything the price will continue to rise as the years go by. Tremec did not fix TKO issues as they popped up. They fixed warranty issues and it just led to a new trans. Just like the transition from TKO II to TKO 500/600

8. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

IT has a few up grades

9. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It looks to have about the same ratio options as the TKO. I priced it for my 72 Camaro and it was right at $4500. I already have bellhousing/clutch because it is a 4sp, it would be more if you needed those also.

10. badazz81z28

Based on the video I recently watched...it appears the gear set is the same as the TKO with the exception of 3rd which is also an upgrade you can do to the TKO 600. I don't see how Tremec can brag about their new case and mid-plate and being a new design yet still only handle 600ftlbs.....