TROUBLESHOOT 2000 MOUNTAINEER - NO HEAT

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
THIS IS RESOLVED

Hey guys and gals,

So for about a year and a half I have had no heat in this mountaineer. The a/c works fine and is strong.

This should be the same as any Ford Explorer around that year.

I've checked about everything I can think of, even put in a flush valve assembly to flush it. Checked the blend door which is working (Under the glove box).
I've replaced a MAPP Sensor and another piece that goes inline to the heater hoses thats supposed to control the heat flow. New water pump, thermostats like last year.

I've had no luck at all.

Has anyone else resolved this without taking theirs to the shop?

Any insight or something Im missing I could easily check?

This version has the digital gauges and not manual, for what its worth. (Set heat to temp and it comes on assuming heat is on.)

I have no smells or leaks from the interior at all. Has fresh full antifreeze.
Was flushed twice this past season.

Any help seriously would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
I used to run into a good number of broken t-stats when I worked at Ford. They would come apart and and unblock the passage (open t-stat basically). Generally the temp and the heater would be fine at idle and loose heat as you drove.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
During some 22 years, the muck that may've accumulated throughout cooling system may not be dislodged by simple / inline flush.
If heater core plugged; perhaps some pressure might be judiciously applied? Failing that, a serious chemical cleaning of entire cooling system may be in order (no, I don't mean those wimpy liquids on today's parts store shelves). Do a search here for Oxalic Acid.

Best wishes for safe and happy Thanksgiving holidays to each of you and yours.

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
During some 22 years, the muck that may've accumulated throughout cooling system may not be dislodged by simple / inline flush.
If heater core plugged; perhaps some pressure might be judiciously applied? Failing that, a serious chemical cleaning of entire cooling system may be in order (no, I don't mean those wimpy liquids on today's parts store shelves). Do a search here for Oxalic Acid.

Best wishes for safe and happy Thanksgiving holidays to each of you and yours.
Thanks for that.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you my friends as well.

ronzz572

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
imperial pa
My thoughts are the temp door motor is bad or the temp door is broken In the heater box. I experienced those problems on explorers of that Era. Hopefully the other replies here are going to be the answer.

ronzz572

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
imperial pa
Yes I have already checked behind the glove box, thinking the blend door wasn't working. It is.
Again I would remove the temp door motor and move the shaft by hand. That is the only way you will know if the shaft to the door isn't broken. If you done that you should be in good shape there.

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
Well, What I did was cut a hole behind the glove box door exposing the blend door itself. Then using the controls, turned on the heat and a/c and the blend door opens and closes as it should.

Latest posts