Trunk difference between 74 & 75??

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
Hello, I'm trying to confirm with the experts here. I was told that there is a difference between the 74 and 75 in the trunk and fuel tank areas. I'm installing an exhaust on my 75 but ordered a kit for a 74. It's a stock replacement w/ transverse muffler.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Welcome to NastyZ28! :D

The exhaust kit should fit fine.
I used the Thrush kit for my 80 (part #289-89021), which is designed for the 70-74, and there were no fitment issues in the rear.

The difference between 74-75 is the catalytic converter and the front passenger floor.
If there are any differences in the trunk area, it won't impact the installation of this exhaust system.

The lack of fittings for a catalytic converter is the reason it's listed as 70-74 kit.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
'75 was the first year for catalytic converters on Camaro so changes in floorpan were needed for that. That also changed the exhaust system so you might find a number of small differences under the car when the new floorpan was made.

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
I understand the changes in floor pan, (passenger side for the cat), but what would that have to do with the trunk and fuel tank areas?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I can't find anything which shows a difference between 74 & 75 fuel tanks.
(74-77 used the same 21 gallon tank.)

Trunk pans all appear to be the same for 74-81 Camaros.
(The reproduction vendors list the same part number for 74-81 Camaros.)

What is your concern?

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
None now. I'm a little preoccupied but just read your first post. The only other questions I've been wrestling with is whether to weld or clamp. To say I'm a beginning welder is way more than an exaggeration. The problem with clamps, especially the u-bolts, is that they can make any future disassembly really tough with disfigurement of the tubes. Band clamps will most likely leak. So, a few coin tosses and I'll get crackin'.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I used stainless steel band clamps.
Mine have not leaked in the 13 years they've been on the car.

You will need to use the "U" clamps at the ends of the muffler because there isn't a long enough straight section for band clamps to fit properly.

Good luck!

Motley 75

Apr 21, 2019
California
Twisted and Gary,
Thanks to both of you for your guidance and information. There is such a wealth of knowledge within this site and as always greatly appreciated.

Latest posts