Trunk lid won't stay up

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Common problem. Eddie Motorsports has a pretty nice solution. Pricey and long wait times though. Got one but havent installed yet.

Mine were worn. I couldnt trust used OEM ones. So I tried the OER trash. One snapped the first day. There was a void in the metal rod, like an air bubble where it snapped. China.

A metal rod with an air bubble? Causing it to break? I don’t buy it, but ok.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Same thing happened to my repop torsion springs.
When I first installed them,the lid shot up like a parachute,lol.
As soon as it got back from paint,halfmast.
They were visually identical to the oem ones.

Jugalo

Oct 23, 2020
A metal rod with an air bubble? Causing it to break? I don’t buy it, but ok.
I was only offering an experience to help a guy avoid the same mistakes/problems I have experienced. Im new on this forum but have been doing this for a very long time and cant remember the last time someone called me out like that. But since you want to call me a liar on someones thread here ya go. The chinese are known for bad metal work. Evidently an air bubble, or a void, or foreign object contamination took place during forming. Ive seen it before. Most likely occured during forming then it was cooled bent and treated to become spring steel, which is nothing like the spring quality of OEM. I still dont understand how OER stays in business. See for yourself. There was an inter-granular void of some sort. Hard to photograph.

Attachments

• IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6644.jpeg
    IMG_6644.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6645.jpeg
    IMG_6645.jpeg
    729.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
Common problem. Eddie Motorsports has a pretty nice solution. Pricey and long wait times though. Got one but havent installed yet.

Mine were worn. I couldnt trust used OEM ones. So I tried the OER trash. One snapped the first day. There was a void in the metal rod, like an air bubble where it snapped. China.
$110 for the raw kit seems very reasonable to me. My lid may as well not have any torsion bars and my car ain't worth crap, so this will add value if anything...

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I do not want to deal with the rod setup since the car has a half decent paint job and, with my luck around anything painted, I would have an accident.
The strut does no appeal to me. I have a mental block about how it looks on a 50+ year old car (strictly my weirdness).
Isn't there 2 levels you can set the rod? I think my car has 2 "hooks" for the rod. I thought you would just tighten it a notch for use with a spoiler. Learned something new today. 2 different rods.

Ratty_81

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2020
I wouldn’t put the strut down on any restored car, but mod, restomod, or daily driver, hell yeah.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I was only offering an experience to help a guy avoid the same mistakes/problems I have experienced. Im new on this forum but have been doing this for a very long time and cant remember the last time someone called me out like that. But since you want to call me a liar on someones thread here ya go. The chinese are known for bad metal work. Evidently an air bubble, or a void, or foreign object contamination took place during forming. Ive seen it before. Most likely occured during forming then it was cooled bent and treated to become spring steel, which is nothing like the spring quality of OEM. I still dont understand how OER stays in business. See for yourself. There was an inter-granular void of some sort. Hard to photograph.

I have also used OER rods, nobody said it’s impossible, it doesn’t seem like a thing to me considering. Your pictures are pretty blurry, I don’t see a air bubble.

70 73z28

Mar 17, 2006
Troy, Mo.
Many years ago, 1969 to be exact. A friend of mine bought a new 69 Malibu 4 speed. He was running it through the gears on the highway when the flywheel exploded. Fortunately it went out the bottom of the bell housing. The next day the dealer was telling him no warranty because they said was probably racing and missed a gear. About that time an old man drove in to see about getting some body work done to his left front fender. Turns out that he was going the opposite direction on the two lane road and was beside my buddy's car when the flywheel let go. A piece of it stuck in the old mans fender. When they pulled it out, there was an air bubble in the casting at the break point.
GM paid for the repairs to both cars.

70Znut

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 5, 2016
Sarasota,FL
I tried 2 sets of "correct" torsion rods for a spoiler trunk lid, they both sucked and would BARELY hold the trunk open, If I tapped the open trunk it would fall down.
I went the strut route 5 years ago and have had zero problems, it still works a good as the first day I installed it.
If I had a all original or show car I get the "no holes" in my car approach. I used a wooden stick for a while but it was a pain in the a$$. But once I went the race route and a fuel cell installed it no longer mattered and the strut was installed. To each his own.

Attachments

• trunk strut (1).jpg
    trunk strut (1).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 31
  • trunk strut (2).jpg
    trunk strut (2).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 30
  • Fuel Cell (2).jpg
    Fuel Cell (2).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts