Trunk make over

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by arm2004, Jan 5, 2021.

1. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

Over last summer i finish restoring my 70 base camaro (3 year project) whole bunch of aftermarket sheet metal it was finely done now time to get some miles on it before winter. Me and my wife went to a local cruise- in did the normal pop hood and pop trunk and talk to people. As we were sitting behind the car my wife says boy the trunk is ugly compared to the rest of the car and i had to agree with her. So winter is here and i am bored- time to make over the trunk. After looking around the net not a lot out there for the 2nd gen cars the first thing i tried was a trunk carpet mat- OK but not what i was looking for then i found Alien enclosures this was what i was looking for. I ordered the kit along with the vinyl and opted for 2-10" subs for the sides. So far i have test fitted the peices and have covered them, all that is left is the final install. I have some pics and will update with photos with the finished job.
    Couple of thing-
    1- there is no spare tire and i was not planning on taking one with me.
    2-you loose a lot of trunk space
    3- no more dropping stuff between the quarters and drop offs
    4- the whole thing can be removed in less than a minute- it uses velcro to hold together. trunk 1.PNG trunk 2.PNG trunk 3.PNG trunk 4.PNG

This is not for everyone but for what i do with the car its what i wanted ,dont worry this car was a 6cyl ,coluum shift, full bumper with very little USA metal left. The first 3 pics are the trunk when i started the last is test fitting all panels. I will load the panels covered in a little bit.
    I had 3 projects i wanted to do over winter the first was clean/ tiddy up engine bay- done
    redo the trunk- in progress
    aftermarket seats/ console and steering wheel so might have some stuff for sale soon.- still thinking on this one.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

All i have pics of are the floor, seat side up peice and the tail light cover peice -still working on sides with the subs in them. trunk 5.PNG trunk 6.PNG trunk 7.PNG

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good, and hides all the parts and holes as well, I will be interested in the final look once it is all in and covered. I really like the look, and it came as a kit for our cars? Where did you get it?

4. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice , and the price is reasonable as well, I need to get some measurements to see if the battery will still fit , and I see that they have speaker sides as well if you want that, the console looks pretty cool as well , and looks like a simple fun project, thanks for posting!!

6. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

I can tell you the side peices go to the low part of the floor then angle up and sit right where the Quarter bends over to go in the trunk. I think it was a 6 degree angle up. Also the one bracket that sits on the right side on lower floor (jack?) does not have to be removed they have a cut out for it- i removed mine just for a cleaner look.

dave@ztech likes this.
  7. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

where did you get your trunk seal, looks good?

8. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

Think rock auto but not sure. It is the hollow core one (metro) the sold core i had problems being to stiff and pushing the trunk lid up.

9. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

Well finished the trunk. Not a bad kit i am not a upholstery guy so i wish i got something with less corners. Kit fit pretty good need to do some trimming and shimming. Over all think it looks better than what i had. 48F6BEC8-7CE2-4FB5-A36D-601163B50325.jpeg View attachment 111230 5665A422-7093-40F1-99D9-D6A8880A8F00.jpeg

dave@ztech and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  10. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

That looks fantastic! Nice job.