Trust

Discussion in 'Swap Meet Section' started by FlaJunkie, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The process you as described is very similar to what I offer when I need something that isn't nearby. - I found quite a few people either don't want to mess with shipping, or are leery of a scam, but unfortunately a lot of times I need/find something that is not local and at that point you have to go out on a limb with trust. I always let the seller know I am not local and I make sure to let them know I will cover the cost of shipping. - Some will accept, some will ignore your future correspondence, but either way, there has to be some common trust between the buyer and seller. - I have never gotten burned by not receiving my goods, , but I have had a few "very long" shipping periods and I have received items that were less than described. - - As with most of us, we are legitimate car guys who need something you have.

I would definitely not recommend selling to someone you have not personally spoken with, at least that way you can feel them out and make sure they are knowledgeable about what they are buying. - I have sold things with personal checks, ( shipping after it's cleared ) but as stated, a money order is only $2 at 7-11 or walmart. - Some have limits of $500, in which case you get 2 or 3.

With all the online scams going on, there is always a risk, we just have to do our best to minimize the likelihood.

--

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

no Fing way would I agree to that deal

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Is he a member here, and if so how long and how many posts etc. If he looks like a solid member than the risk is I think low for a set of seats. If he is a new join than I would request the money order or even cash via registered mail. Put the risk back on him.

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very good responses. I have talked to him but I agree that caution is wise. I think if he is sincere, a wire transfer is in order.

I keep looking at it from the other end...would I want to do it that way? And then I realize that all of us do it basically that way...we pay for something before it is shipped to us.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

The people that are out to scam you will not talk to you on the phone. I have had many people text me and tell me to consider my car sold and to take it off C/L to get ready to have my car picked up by their transport co. Also that they would pay a little extra. They want to either send a bank check or they wanted me to give my Paypal acct #. I respond with paypal only needs my email. Then I never hear from them again. I called the bank and spoke with someone about accepting bank or cashiers checks from buyers. They said both can be faked and to be careful. Even if the check clears. The bank told me that the buyer could put a stop payment on and screw you. I have bought parts and sent my own checks with people on this site. I also used paypal. I guess talking with someone first is the way to go.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

^100% correct. If wants the seats send the cash.

7. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

If you wait for it to clear there's no risk to a check.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I have heard horror stories and they probably are not true that even after a check clears that somehow the bank that the check is drawn on can go back and "reverse" the transaction. Your bank can then draw the funds out of even your savings to keep them from losing on the deal. Seems illegal, but I bet the banks would not end up holding the bag one way or another. Seems somehow that this scenario is always with some type of international transaction. As they say.. cash is king. I guess PayPal is queen.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

yes,that very thing happened to my cousin years ago. He lost a truck over it. Needless to say he was out 12,000 dollars and never got the money back

10. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cashiers check or Money order only