Trying to get a Volvo key made... NEVER AGAIN

Da_Raabi

Veteran Member
Jan 19, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
A friend who just moved down to FL from Washington and has very little money just bought a used 2004 Volvo XC90. Its a total POS (VERY long story), but it's what they have. I think he paid just over 3k for it. Anyway, one of the many issues with it is the fact that the key is falling apart and sometimes fails to start the vehicle. No big deal right? Just get a new one? WRONG. Volvo has this asinine idea that keys are this precious thing that only they know how to handle. Basically the result of this is that, to get a new key/fob made you HAVE to go to the dealer which costs...

hold on to your pants...

$800. FOR ONE KEY.

I've called everywhere trying to find someone who can do it cheaper, or do it at all, and not one place will even touch a Volvo. WTF??? What's so special about these swedish things?

I'm pretty mad. I'm trying to help this family out (I already put several days into getting the motor running), but this is just crazy. Who charges $800 for a key?

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Does it have a GM Vatts system? if it does bypass that crap and just use a regular key. Look on Youtube bet there are others with the same trouble.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Volvo's of that era are strange beasts.... The company was owned by Ford at the time and could never figure out if they were independent or not.
frankly, I wouldn't own one

I did find this on programming a key if you buy a fob.
Looks very similar to GM procedure

gin man

Veteran Member
Feb 24, 2002
Morris, Il
I posted on a Volvo forum to see if anyone has some ideas on a reasonable cost or some alternative to a dealer. I recently had to have a new key programmed at the dealer for our Pacifica and it ran $140.

78TypeLTCamaro

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2001
Earth
That is unbelievable for a 18 year old car. That may explain why those Swedish cars, e.g. SAAB and Volvo don't hold their value. I read that post on that site, and I would just use the valet key if you have it, in my opinion.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
That is unbelievable for a 18 year old car. That may explain why those Swedish cars, e.g. SAAB and Volvo don't hold their value. I read that post on that site, and I would just use the valet key if you have it, in my opinion.
I got news for you....Even over in Europe those cars are huge POS's and everyone that has one will tell you so.

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
Thats a crazy amount for a key. Thats silly. I did have a 96-ish mercedes a few years ago, that in order to get a spare key for, i had to take me, the car, the key, and some proof i owned the car, to the dealer. I dont remenber it being stupid expensive though.

Latest posts