Trying to help a neighbor...engine ticking

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Jul 14, 2007.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

My neighbor walks up today and asked for my input since he's seen me out under the hood of my own cars before. He knows very little about engines...espcially diagnosis...and I struggle some with diagnosis also. So here's the run down....
    He's got a very audible ticking from the driver side. When I get down there, he's already got the valve covers and intake off. He says when he was checking the oiling on it earlier, he was only getting oil to the passenger side and next to nothing on the driver side. He already had the rocker arms loose and the pushrods out of the driver side. He could press the plungers on all the lifters on that side except one...which is stuck. I'm guessing this is where MOST of his ticking is coming from....but being he's not getting oil on the driver side, I'm sure it's all noisy.

Anyone ever experienced this on an engine that's been run a fairly good bit already? Should I recommend him buying a new set of lifters? Should he try disassemling that one lifter? Why is he getting oil just on one side?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is this a smallblock chevy or something else?
    I find that about 75% of the time I hear a tick from under the hood of an American V8 car that an exhaust leak is the culprit

3. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My first thought is that the oil galley on the driver's side is plugged. The lack of oil would cause the lifters to collapse and make the ticking sound. However, I highly suggest you have a professional look at it. It may be an easy fix (removing the oil galley plug(s) and cleaning out the galley) or removing the engine and doing a thorough cleaning (hot tank). It may also be a piece of metal that broke off and got stuck in the galley. Either way it needs to be addressed and a professional would be a good idea. Just replacing the lifters may not be enough, if they even need replaced.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. 73 DEVILLE

73 DEVILLE Member

Hi Gents

I also have the same problem of the noise coming from the driver side bank in a L31 350 vortec motor. I tried everything like removing one plug at a time but could not pin point the problem. I also do not get enough oil on the driver side bank. Finally I replaced all 16 roller lifters and the sound went away for half a day but returned before sunset. I tried again by changing oil to a lower value oil and the sound will disappear after about ten minutes only to return again if I resatrt the car again. During one of my oil change I notice fine copper colored iron particles in on the bottom of the oil pan. I then suspected that I have a cam bearing having gone bad and I just left it there for now and see if I could get new bearings. Please let me nowof what you find out.