TSA

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Mar 21, 2019.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Anyone work for TSA out there? I have a question.

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I don’t work for the TSA but I’m an airport employee who every day goes through their screening and listening to different people asking questions their answers seem to vary from different employees on different days to how they answer questions. They do have an official website that I’m sure you have already checked out but they have a disclaimer that gives them the option to change the rules as necessary

3. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

There is an "ask TSA" Twitter account. I've used it before and recieved a prompt response.

4. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

just ask the question

5. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Are there any specific parameters they use to decide who is going to get the entire "pat down?"

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have no involvement with TSA and never have had any so I can speak only from personal experience. To me, it appears they simply take a person at random like a drawing.

A few years ago I was waiting for a flight in the Minneapolis airport. If you are familiar with Minnesota, you know that much of the northern part of that state was settled by people from Scandanavia. Next to my gate they were boarding a flight north to Bemidji, MN. The TSA people called out Stefan Pederson for the search and pat down. I'm guessing that TSA has never caught any Norwegian terrorists yet, but they went through the motions. Stefan and everybody else around him was roaring with laughter through the entire thing.
    But, you couldn't accuse them of any kind of prejudice.
    And, yes, Stefan was cleared to fly. He wasn't even carrying any Lutefisk.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FlaJunkie likes this.
  7. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Yes it is ramdom pick.
    BUT!!!
    Don't appear to be nervous, sweaty, uneasy. These are things they are trained to spot.
    Don't try to slip by them.
    Don't dress like a homeless guy. nice clothes are good show.
    Do NOT give them ANY hassle, none at all. yes sir no sir.
    just be polite and nice. Not so much long talks but short sweet thank you for your job, have a great day.

You should get through with no problems

oh and no guns, drugs, or anything banned from planes(water bottles and such)
    drink and eat before you go through the line do not have that bottle of water or banned items on or with you

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

My wife has flown as many as 45+ weeks in a year. She travels all over US and Canada. She is what is referred to as TSA PreCheck - a program where she automatically gets in a special line that bypasses the normal long line and has some special perks (don't have to take your shoes off - unless they have metal in them for instance). When we travel together, I am also TSA PreCheck.

On our recent trip to Nashville - I got the pat down. My wife has had the pat down. It's random and no big deal.

I'd rather put up with this minor inconvenience in the hopes that it helps them catch a few more bad guys...

9. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I don’t recall hearing of TSA catching any bad guys other than infants and little ole ladies.

Years ago I moved my cousin to Florida and flew back. One way ticket I guess throws a flag. They check my bag for explosives (I’m not sure why as I look Derek Vineyard and not durka durka).
    As they are wiping done my underwear I informed them those are the dirty laundry.
    The bag was closed and told to move along.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

my daughter works for the TSA . she is on the road right now moving from Montana back to NY to work here . if she calls , ill ask . it might not be for a few days .