Tubular Rad Core Support

LeKid

Veteran Member
Feb 5, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
I already had the hood release removed since I had a pin-on fiberglass hood. The old rad support was 30.5lbs by itself and the new one, with all the brackets welded to it weight 12lbs, so a saving of over 18lbs.

Also, the old, way too big and damaged, radiator that I was running with double fans was 24lbs. The new smaller and lightweight rad and single fan (I don't drive much on the street anymore) weight 8.5lbs, so another savings of 15lbs + whatever less amount of water I need to run in the radiator (let's say 2/3-3/4 gallon, which is around 5lbs) which gives me a full weight saving for this modification of around 38lbs!!!

I will know the exact amount once I weight the car in the spring. I am also switching to coilover front springs, which should save me another 10-12lbs if not 15-16lbs)

LeKid

Veteran Member
Feb 5, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
I know, trust me, I know!! I used to be at 49.5% on the front tires and after doing way too many big wheelies and not getting a good 60ft, we changed it all around. We were at 53.2 last year and with this weight removal, we will be around 52.6 and our goal was 52.5. We are also changing front springs to go from 212lbs rate 22" tall big coil to a 300lbs rate 10" spring coil over setup which will also help control the front end.

scrapmetal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 5, 2007
Cleburne,Texas
It's not what you were looking for but I wanted on and left my old car at this guy's shop and he made me one simular to the factory put of aluminum.No extra charge cause he wanted to make it that way!
carandlights0047so.jpg
f9e2f005ji.jpg
33333.jpg

Chris F

Oct 31, 2022
@LeKid do you have a price and building the tubular radiator support? I have a 1980 and would like to hang sheet metal fenders on the car. Very interested.

LeKid

Veteran Member
Feb 5, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
@LeKid do you have a price and building the tubular radiator support? I have a 1980 and would like to hang sheet metal fenders on the car. Very interested.
I do not have a price since I only build one for my car. We used 1"x0.058" chromoly.

I know that since I built it, Ron Rhodes at Rhodes Custom Auto (https://rhodes-custom-auto.myshopify.com/) as come up and selling a 2nd gen Camaro one he sells for $339us. You do have to weld all your own brackets to it as well.

I believe when we built mine, I ended up being around $100-120 into it. Price of chromoly have gone up since then.

Latest posts