Tuning

carhead22000

oldblue
Sep 5, 2011
canada
what temp is the car at when idle starts messing up?i,d get it running good then address the stumble at start by playing with the pump shot.give it some more fuel at launch. Unless its running hot. Then your fuel might be vaporizing in carb.that wold cause idle to be jumpy.

Rustbucket350

Veteran Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oviedo, Florida
If your friend thinks the timing is set properly then it's time to buy your own timing light. I hear a lot of people say whatever they want about timing. Nothing is better than checking it for real with a timing light.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Friend thinks the timing is around 36-40°

As the old saying goes, "If you think you know, you don't know" Hence my question in post #10.

Before carb changes can be done and evaluated, the timing has to be on par as with the ignition system.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Timing between 36-40. That’s a big diff. Get a timing light as suggested and set it to 36* all in at 3,000 rpm.
I like old school, my non digital.
D02EBEC7-1246-4FE1-97A9-E2A1A989DBCB.jpeg

cnlmustard

Nov 2, 2000
Louisiana, USA
If the carbie started the engine to have difficulty when installed, what was there before? (if it aint broke dont fix it).
Put the original back on, and you might be surprised how good it used to run.
Is the intake manifold stock? Because the two have to compatible big time.
Call Holley, they will tell you. They actually swapped mine with the one they felt could deal with my new manifold.

serpent710

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Newest update: Changed nozzles. Went up and down,28-37.It has 35 in it. Changed cam from green to orange, Changed screw on cam from spot 1 to spot 2. Adjusted the accelerator pump, main and secondary so there in no play. Next I guess I have to check the main jets and the timing.

serpent710

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If the carbie started the engine to have difficulty when installed, what was there before? (if it aint broke dont fix it).
Put the original back on, and you might be surprised how good it used to run.
Is the intake manifold stock? Because the two have to compatible big time.
Call Holley, they will tell you. They actually swapped mine with the one they felt could deal with my new manifold.
Had an Edelbrock 750 in it and went to a holley 650. Intake is a RPM air Gap. I might be giving Holley a call lol