Turbo build

anesthes

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 17, 2009
Salem, NH
So. I sold my '79 Z back in like 2010 or so. As things change in everyone's life, it looks like he's going to sell it back to me as a roller.

I have a 412" SBC that I was using in another project with a supercharger. Thinking about doing another turbo build, for the 79 Z. I did a lot of searching and I was surprised that I couldn't find many photos of turbo builds.

Not sure if I want to do a single on the passenger side, or a twin. Honestly it's been so many years I forget how much room is in the engine bay, what the hood clearance is like, etc. I'm leaning towards single as it might "fit" better.

Here is a photo of a turbo setup I built back in 2014 or so. I imagine this would fit in a second gen, right?

Was thinking blow through a holley sniper. I have one brand new on the shelf.

Attachments

• IMG_20141226_160010.jpg
    IMG_20141226_160010.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 39

anesthes

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 17, 2009
Salem, NH
View attachment 145843 This is an old picture of mine with a turbo ls but the dimensions should still be fairly similar.

Looks cool! No inner fenders though ? I guess for a track car not needed.

I'm still torn between a big single or twins. The engine I have would probably make 600-650hp with a T76, so I might just do that to make it simple. Then maybe use a Y merge to send the 3" downpipe into dual 2 1/2" exhaust.

David56

Aug 13, 2022
B
Looks cool! No inner fenders though ? I guess for a track car not needed.

I'm still torn between a big single or twins. The engine I have would probably make 600-650hp with a T76, so I might just do that to make it simple. Then maybe use a Y merge to send the 3" downpipe into dual 2 1/2" exhaust.
Big single is cheaper, less parts. Mine is a vs racing 7875. I have the holley turbo manifold kit and it fits really well. I’d imagine they have a kit for an sbc that is similar.