Turn signal flasher location

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Eric Meschke, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Eric Meschke

Eric Meschke EM

I am having trouble with my left turn signal lights staying solid and not flashing--1979 Camaro. Replaced the bulbs and tested them. The hazards work fine, and so does the right turn signal.

From some other posts, it seems like it might work to replace the flasher that is not in the fuse box. Problem is, the only flasher relay I can find is the one in the fuse box for the hazards. Other posts mention the 2nd relay is at the base of the steering column.

Below is a picture taken with my head at the base of the steering column looking up. Weird angle, but the green circle is the hazards flasher (working), the red circle is the horn relay, and the blue circle is the lights. The steering column is near the top of the picture. That means that the camera in the picture would be at the base of the steering column, there isn't any relay there that looks like the one in the fuse box so I am not sure where it is to replace.

Do you have to remove the steering column to get to the second flasher or could the second flasher look different than the silver cylinder? The one I bought as a replacement from the auto parts store looks like the one in the fuse box. Are there some wires that are easy to trace from the fuse box to find the flasher? This seems like it is easy, but I am stumped.

Thank you!

annotatedFlasher.png

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the right signals and hazards are working, the flasher is most likely NOT the problem.

My 80 has them both in the fuse block.

Your 79 has one flasher behind the dash attached to a purple and pink/white pigtail.
    I’m pretty sure it’s the one you circled in blue.

There’s some good info in this recent thread regarding turn signal trouble shooting...

https://nastyz28.com/threads/turn-signal-switch-issue.335069/

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Try swapping the flasher circled in green with the one circled in blue and see what happens.

4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Lights are wired in series, I’ve seen some weird issues when 1 bulb is out causing others to wig out. Check all bulbs

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

None of the lights on a car like our Camaros are wired in series. They are all wired in parallel.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The flasher controls left and right signals.
    The Hazard lights use a different circuit at the column.

When you say they are solid (not flashing)... Are you referring to exterior lights or dash indicator?

Test them with the headlights on and off to see if there’s a difference in behavior.

7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I had the exact same problem on a 79 Pontiac many moons ago. I wish I could remember what the problem was. I do remember it being an easier fix, but I guess that doesn't Really help much, does it. Don't mind me, I'm just rambling.

8. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

The one circled in blue is for your turn signal. I had a similar ssue on my 79 camaro. Turn signals wouldnt work with lights on. That thing is glued on tight too, gonna need to really pull on it to break it free. Replace that and it should solve your signal issues.

9. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Check the ground on the front blinker and try new bulbs both front and rear. You can run a jumper ground wire from the battery. The sockets may be the problem. Usually the rear tail lights dont have many issues. Also try with the headlights on. Are the side marker lights in good working order? With lights on, the front side marker light should blink off when the front blinker goes bright.