Turn signal not working

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by AJ81Z28, Jan 3, 2019.

1. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 Member

81 Z28 left turn signal up front doesn't come on when head lights or parking lights are on and the left turn signal on the dash lights up too even though the turn signal is not engaged.

I replaced the turn signal switch which did not fix it. This is what happens.

When I try to use the turn signals whether the head lights / parking lights are on or not it only flashes to the right.

With head lights parking lights on the front left turn signal doesn't even light up. But with the head light parking light off it will at least light up when I signal left.

The last weird thing. With no head lights parking lights you hit the hazard button and all four work like they're supposed to. You turn on head light parking light and the backs keep going as normal but if front blinkers start alternating like a disco.

Any thoughts? When are the front side lamp markers supposed to come on? Neither one of those light up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are two filaments in the signal lights in front.

I think one of the filaments is burned out.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If the two front lights alternate flashing with the hazards on, you have a bad ground on the left one since it is the one not working for signal. Don't shotgun anymore parts into the car. Just get a good working ground at the front light.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The ground is a black wire on the radiator support near the headlight. One ground for each side.

Side markers... check the bulbs after fixing the ground.

(I don’t think the headlights would work if the ground is bad.)

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Check all bulbs for correct bulbs in the sockets. You can't interchange 1156 and 1157 bulbs. Then, install a known good bulb in the socket that isn't working. Then, meter the ground between the headlight and the signal light. A bad ground there will give you the symptoms you are having. If none of those things are the problem, inspect the socket itself for problems there.
    The malfunctioning left front light says the problem is right there. (bulb, socket, or ground)

6. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 Member

Ok. Thanks for all the replies. The bulbs looked good when I was messing with it. I will check the ground wire next.